washable air filter

I recently purchased a used 2002 Celica GTS and have noticed the installed air filter appears to be a washable type. It is a TRD filter, red rubber frame, filter media has mesh on either side. The filter appears to be in good condition but I figured I should find out the proper technique for cleaning it. Can anyone provide some advice? Also, does anyone know if this is the stock filter?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Reply to
yotaman

I have a TRD filter in my Tacoma. You can get the genuine cleaning kit from your Toyota dealer. it has all the instuctions in the box. Be careful not to use too much oil. Scott

Reply to
zonie

"zonie" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

DO NOT use excessive oil!

Using too much oil will kill your Mass Airflow Sensor, about an $80 part.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks for the advice.

Now I just need to decide whether to stick with the TRD filter or go with the OEM paper type.

Reply to
yotaman

Ihad the TRD filter in my truckk for about 25000 miles. I did not notice and power increase or better fuel mileage. What I did notice was more intake noise nd more dirt in my throttle body . After reading some reports on the washable filters such as K&N and TRD and others it became apparent that to lt in more air , they also let in more dirt. I threw that filter in the trash where it belongs and back to standard filters for me.My last Toyota ran almost 300,000 on fatory filter before I sold it, still running fine. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Paper filters way better.

Put the TRD on Ebay and buy a case.