Water in my fule

I was notified today the Costco had water in their premium gas in a specific gas station from 7/3 to 7/7, they send me an overnight letter with this information and promise to cover all expenses plus send me additional compensations.

I purchase the fuel on 7/6 and been drive for the last two days without any problems.

What should I do, just drive and look for hesitation symptoms, add additive to the gas tank or take it to the dealer for preventive maintenance.

Reply to
jack.judy.mor

Hit an auto supply store and pick up a bottle of name brand fuel conditioner, making sure it clearly states that moisture elimination is one of its functions. Follow the instructions in terms of the right amount to use for how much fuel. If the car runs fine, forget about it and have a beer.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It looks like you dodged a bullet on this one. You bought the gas on the 6th and posted this on the 10th. You wouldn't be asking what to do if you had been having a problem with your car, you'd already be doing it.

Gas is less dense than water, meaning it floats. So any water in the tank will sink to the bottom in just a few minutes after fuel is added. The fuel pickup in the storage tank at the gas station will be a few inches above the bottom of the tank for this reason. The tank would have to have 50 to 100 gallons of water in it before the pickup would draw any water unless they were filling the storage tank while you were pumping gas into your car. A very good reason why you should never buy gas if you see the tanker truck at the station.

Your car's gas pickup in your tank is an inch or so above the bottom of the tank, again to avoid picking up water. You may have a pint or so of water in your tank but it won't hurt anything.

Almost all gas sold today contains ethanol alcohol which will bind with water and help to eliminate it from your fuel system. You can purchase something like Dry-Gas and add it to your tank to help the process but it really isn't necessary.

I'm surprised that Costco would notify you that they might have sold gas that had water in it. Haven't they ever heard of lawyers and law suits?

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Alcohol absorbes water,Heat in the yellow or red bottle is best. There is some water in all gas using a few bottles of Heat is a good idea. In Europe years ago we had to regularly put in 2 Litres of pure alcohol just to kepp a 390 ford Tbird running, once the gas was so bad it took 3 litres. Gas now is 10% alcohol and that alcohol has already absorbed water. if you notice anything even getting a gallon of denatured alcohol from the hardware store wont hurt anything, one or two bottles of heat wont absorbe alot. Alcohol can absorbe about 10% water by volume and let it burn. As your tank empties the air inside can also condense out water from the air. If you had bad gas, you would probably already see it running bad.

Reply to
ransley