my ADD

Here's one thing (1.) that happened to me and another (2.) I came across in alt. support.attn-deficit:

  1. Last year in July and following a looong drive, I refueled at an Exxon/Mobil Station on 95 South. When I was done, I went to pay, got some windshield washer fluid, popped the hood, refilled, closed the hood got into the car and... forgot the gas pump nozzle in the car.

As far as I could tell, the hose disengaged at the breakaway coupling, not a drop of gas was spilled and the only thing damaged was my self-confidence.

I just (Feb 04) received a bill for approx $325 dollars from Exxon. Wow, I thought, that's an expensive piece of rubber.

Turns out, the bill is compiled of:

  1. 0 materials (I thought the breakaway hose is designed to avoid damage!?)
  2. Travel and Taxes (wow again)
  3. labor (OK, fine)
  4. 20% Cost management, Oversight etc. Fees ()
  5. 5% MMSV Profit Fee (~ - I thought Exxon was in the business of selling gas)

  1. While researching this obvious lapse into ADD, I came across the following thread. I hope some fellow afflicted Sub drivers can enjoy this one:

For the record: I once forgot my Violin on the bus, but never my coffee on the car roof.

  1. a) How does a coffee mug stay on the roof of a car at 60Mph (see linked-to thread)? Turbulence? Downdraft?

BTW: This is On Topic because it happened in a 95 Legacy.

Florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

Ok, there WAS a question I meant to ask: Does that seem like a lot of money for reattaching the hose? I am not trying to deny responsibility here, but I think Exxon is trying to take my mishap as an opportunity to squeeze me for profit.

florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

Here's my observation:

I've seen breakaway hoses here, and it looks like the only damage is a little brass shear pin. Maybe $5.00 at the most and certainly operator-replaceable.

Just because someone gives you a bill doesn't mean you have to pay it. You can ask for more documentation, you can say "talk to my insurance company" You can offer what you think is fair payment, with the check specifying that cashing it resolves the whole debt. You can tell them that the bill is unacceptable and that you'd be happy to litigate it in small-claims court.

Do a little research. Go back to the gas station and examine the system. See if it isn't a little brass shear pin. Take some pictures. If you're not mechanically inclined, take a friend that is so you can offer an informed arguement as to why the bill is unacceptable.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The incident happened last July - just got the "invoice" now. I'm not sure if photographs of the pump as it is now would have any bearing.

I believe there is some sort of regulation mandating the pump design to allow break-away without damage. I could not dig anything up but I'd appreciate pointers.

Anyway; It just seems odd that Exxon is sending me a bill for three hundred odd dollars. Those guys practically own us anyway ;) Besides, I may be (have been) absent-minded to say the least but I'm not stupidly wealthy .

FFF

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

Another point I forgot to make. Get some legal advice relevent to your local laws as to whether what they sent you is a bill or a claim. As a claim, refusing to pay it may have no impact on your credit until and unless they secure a court judgement for it. Again, I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Tell that to the person who sent the bill. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten out of various fees by saying "I can't afford to pay that". They may just tell you "we can waive the fee this ONE time". I'd at least try.

--Dan

Reply to
dg

I'd be really, really surprised if either the retailer or Exxon didn't have some kind of insurance to cover this kind of mishap.

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

They ARE their own insurance. Every dollar we spend on gas contains the premium.

Of course, if they can stick the bill onto someone who, admittedly or not, screwed up (with or without insurance) they will do so.

I am not trying to wiggle myself out of paying for my mistake, but I can't stand price-gauging and exploitation of misfortune. I think I'll send them a check for $25. According to their claim, that covers the labor.

If the pump hose released as it should have, no material damage could have ensued ($170).

The overhead of Exxon's management (fiftysomething dollars) and their inability to find someone to reattach the hose within shouting distance ($65 travel expenses? In southern Connecticut, 30mins from NYC?) are not my problem.

florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/