What Sort of Mileage Does Your Rav4 Get?

I was thinking of buying a used Rav4 but with gas prices seemingly locked above $2/gallon, mileage is a big issue. The Rav4 is attractive because of its size (fits easily in a my small garage, leaving room for bikes, etc) and the 4WD option (I live in the north, winter's a big deal every year, right now I'm driving a car that's horrible in snow and that's got to change).

I've seen postings elsewhere; some people complain about their Rav4 mileage and some are really happy. It's hard to tell, though, what's what. Not all specify whether they have automatic, 4WD, do city or highway driving, etc.

Have you carefully checked your mileage? What kind of mileage do you get? Do you have automatic? 4WD? Is this highway, city or mixed? What year is your Rav4? I'd really like to know.

If you'd rather not post publicly, e-mail to dhathewa at isd.net would be appreciated by me but I'll bet other potential Rav4 owners would like to see how yours is doing..

Reply to
dh

2000, 2WD. 4door, automatic. 83,300 miles, Mixed (around town with some long trips) 25.89mpg.
Reply to
Brian Gordon
2004 AWD RAV4, mixed driving and drivers = 22 MPG, highway driving (e.g., vacation), it goes up to 23-24 MPG Before that, 2001 AWD RAV4 = 21 MPG Before that, 1999 AWD RAV4 = 23 MPG

Reply to
Steve

2004 2wd 4 door city 17-19 in the winter and 18-21 in the summer. I haven't been on the highway with this vehicle yet so I have no idea what kind of highway milage it gets.
Reply to
Some One

dh wrote: :: I was thinking of buying a used Rav4 but with gas prices seemingly :: locked above $2/gallon, mileage is a big issue. The Rav4 is :: attractive because of its size (fits easily in a my small garage, :: leaving room for bikes, etc) and the 4WD option (I live in the :: north, winter's a big deal every year, right now I'm driving a car :: that's horrible in snow and that's got to change). :: :: I've seen postings elsewhere; some people complain about their Rav4 :: mileage and some are really happy. It's hard to tell, though, :: what's what. Not all specify whether they have automatic, 4WD, do :: city or highway driving, etc. :: :: Have you carefully checked your mileage? What kind of mileage do :: you get? Do you have automatic? 4WD? Is this highway, city or :: mixed? What year is your Rav4? I'd really like to know. :: :: If you'd rather not post publicly, e-mail to dhathewa at isd.net :: would be appreciated by me but I'll bet other potential Rav4 owners :: would like to see how yours is doing..

You could save yourself a ton of $$ by just purchasing a car and some decent snow tires. It's that easy.

Reply to
FanJet

I use this approach. A base model Corolla with a manual transmission with snow tires would be great in the winter. You don't want a car with too much power in the winter and it gets better gas mileage. The manual transmission, if properly driven, is better than an automatic with winter mode and TCS.

Reply to
ma_twain

1998 2WD Auto, mixed, 95,000miles on it. Average about 28 mpg.

John

We had one of the worst snowfalls on record this year (2 feet in 24 hours) where I live and I have super-grippy winter tires on my 5spd '97 Corolla and was the ONLY vehicle to get out of my parking spot except for my two co-workers who drove Jeep YJ's. Every other car/truck/pickup/SUV was stuck and had to be shovelled or towed out. Screw those city-SUV's ...if you want

4x4 then buy a true 4X4 like a Jeep and modify it so you never get stuck. If you want decent traction and good MPG, buy some good tires and buy a 5spd. Then learn the tricks of how to get out of a bad spot. It's the idiots in the 4x4's who create all the ice and ruts in the parking lot by gunning it ...most of em don't even realize that their "4x4" is actually 2x4. I'd bet money that given the exact same predicament in a big snowfall I would get out of my spot in my '97 Corolla long before most stock Rav4's (except for the few who knew how to properly maneuver their larger vehicle). So, to recap ...good tires, 5spd, patience. IMO, the only thing an SUV has over a good car is ground-clearance ...but again if you use the 5spd properly and create proper ruts for yourself then it is rarely a problem. Stick with a good car.
Reply to
griffin
2004 RAV4 L Pkg AT AWD 8k miles. 2/3 city, 1/3 hwy. ~21 mpg.

In 2004 the horsepower was increased 10%. This was useful if you drive through the hills often. (My wife would say that it was necessary.) But it probably reduced the mileage from earlier models.

I recently increased the tire pressure from the factory (marshmallow) setting and got an increase of 1-1.5 mpg (to around 21). This isn't great for such a little car. But we like all the other aspects of this car.

Reply to
ll