what year had most room?

I'm 7'3" tall. Every couple years I go to the auto show to see what may fit me better than others. external size of car usually has little to
do with this and some econoboxes are suprisingly roomy. Of course I run into other problems.
Like I would like to buy an Echo because it has plenty of headroom, but legroom isn't great but the worst problem for me is visibility - can't see the darn stoplights cuz even with the headroom I can't see through the roof in front of my eyes.
Anyways, that said, some years back I swear, I swear at the auto show, there was a corolla I sat in that if I tilted a little bit, had good visibility and reasonable legroom and a comfortable seat for my back. I wish I had kept a logbook for now so I could search the used car sales for that model.
I think the other toyota that fit me well was the tercel wagon circa 1985 which my mom had a 2wd but it was usually advertized as a AWD or 4wd.
Anyways, could someone on this toyota group comment if there were certain past years when there were roomier interior designed corollas? Thanks in advance.
by the way, my goal is to save gas. Otherwise I'll just stick to driving Aerostars until I can't get em anymore. I get 22mpg with mine.

How many miles to the repair?
I can remember when I was in college, a 7 footer drove a Pinto - from the rear seat!
Ed

You're mean
LOL
Natalie

When I was growing up, the man who was listed in the Guinness Book as the world's tallest man lived about a mile or two west of where I lived. I'd occasionally see him walking down the street, I heard that he drove a VW Beetle from the back seat.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply

Robert Wadlow - you're from the Midwest?
Natalie

Yup, I think that was his name and Yup, I'm from the Midwest. Grew up in the Edgewater/Rogers Park neighborhood on the north side of Chicago.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply

Parents of his dates musta hated him...
--
-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Hubby loved his Corolla FX 16 (The "Pocket Rocket") for both head and leg room, but you're *way* taller than he is (He's 6'2"); besides, I doubt you can find one of those these days. Have you asked a dealership about this?
Natalie
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:34:44 -0400, Wickeddoll wrote:

I found one....<growl>...

LOL and Craig will be driving it again. He's decided to graduate from my old high school, so he's going to be staying with my mom, which means he'll have access to his old car...
Oh stop crying, you weenie
Natalie
You might want to take a look at a 500, lots of room and 29 MPG with excellent reliability ratings to boot
mike hunt

Pardon Mike. He likes to make up facts. He is referring to the Ford 500. Consumer Reports just noted that the station wagon/SUV version or the 500 has a much worse than average repair record so you can bet the sedan is unreliable too.

You mean - Consumer Reports PREDICTED the Freestyle would have a much worse than average repair record.
My Father purchased a Freestyle earlier this year. It has not had a single problem.
In this particular case, how many Freestyle owners do you think actually responded to the CR popularity contest ballot for 2005? 10, 20 ,2000? CR doesn't have any actual statistically significant statistics on the reliability of the Freestyle (it is not even listed in their survey results). CR only says predicted reliability is worse than average. They don't actually know. They don't even have their usual corrupt survey results to base this on, just their "opinion." And the really funny thing - I subscribe to CR online. They have a section for owner's feedback that you don't get in the magazine. 41 people have provided feedback on the Freestyle. 35 of them gave the Freestyle top ratings (5 out of 5) - 85%. The other six all gave it a four out of five rating. The only significant reliability complaint was the radio - apparently one owner didn't like the radio and had it replaced multiple times. They had 26 people comment on the Ford 500 - 23 gave it a five out of five - 92%. The Toyota Avalon only had 31 of 41 people who commented on the car give it five stars - 76%. More people that bothered to post a review griped about the Avalon's reliability that about the 500's. Has to make you wonder about the whole CR system, when the car they love the most got a worse ratings from their subscribers that a car they tanked.
So, it seems to me, the Freestyle should have a very high predicted reliability, since about the worst thing anyone had to say was that the CD changer was slow.
Ed
The basic problem with CR is it is only their subscribers, who may chose to reply, are polled. With nearly 19,000,000 new vehicle being sold annually in the US the opinions, good or bad, of their circulation members of just thousands is unscientific and meaningless.
mike hunt

While I totally agree that the CR data collection scheme is not statistically valid, I do think you are underestimating CR circulation. They have somewhere between 4.5 million and 5 million subscribers. Now they never actually tell you how many of those actually respond to their annual survey / plea for money letter Nor, how many of those responded to any particular car. I am confident upset Customers are much more likely to respond than happy consumers. I also believe if you sell more cars, you are likely to have more unhappy Customers. I also think people who read Consumer Report are likely to bias their responses to reflect CR's opinions. And finally, advertising really works - there is no other reason for Buick to rate as one of the top brands in reliability (according to JD Powers), while Pontiac is worse than average. So all the BS Toyota spouts about reliability is working. Personally, if I was running Ford, I'd hire the Toyota car advertising firm. Ford has some of the worst commercials on TV. Toyota commercials are often silly, but they appear to appeal to people. The latest "Moving Forward" campaign is one of the least meaningful campaigns ever. On the other hand, Toyota truck ads are ridiculous. The Tacoma ads are just plain stupid (oh yeah, I am sure a Tacoma can look like new after a direct meteor strike). And the Tundra commercials are incredibly stupid. The Tundra ads essentially conceded that Ford builds the best trucks. The pitiful F150/Tundra comparison ads are really sad. After watching he latest Tundra ads, I am very glad I didn't buy a Tundra - not that I want an F150 either. At least Dodge and Chevy act like they build a good product. The best Toyota can do is make weak comparison that highlight their truck's second (or is it fourth) rate status.
Any how back to CU - I was very impressed that 41 people that subscribe to CU online actually liked their Freestyle enough to post a comment (41 with four out of five stars or better - mostly better). And it was very impressive that none were unhappy. Even CU's pet, the Avalon, had a couple of owners post negative comments.
Ed
I believe at least the 500 sedan and maybe the wagon was shipping when CR did their last survey. Considering how few problems a new cars has these days, CR might have had enuf surveys back from readers to detect that the cars were unreliable. Remember that their reliability rates are determined by an absolute standard and do not vary by age of the car. If early 500's or Freestyles suffered a couple of recalls, that would have been enuf to make them "unreliable" under CR standards. The first year Focus was also unreliable but later years have been reliable according to their surveys and are now recommended by CR.

There have been no recalls for either the Freestyle or Five Hundred. They were not generally available until January. Consumer Reports publishes it's car results in April. I assume the April issue has to go to press in early March. What are the chances that CR had any meaningful data on either vehicle? And how does the CR predicted reliability jive with the 41 people who provided very feedback to CU Online? No one really had much bad to say about either the Freestyle or the Five Hundred. Typical shoddy CR data collection as far as I am concerned. Now if you prefer JD Powers Appeal Ratings, the Avalon is the best large sedan - 5 stars in every category. On the other hand, both the Freestyle and Five Hundred rated as good or better than the Toyota Camry in every category. The Camry was "about average" in every category. I suppose nothing is more average than a Camry. The Five Hundred out scored the Camry in Performance, Comfort, and Overall Appeal. The Freestyle out scored the Camry in Comfort, Features and Instrument Panel, Style, and Overall Appeal. The Freestyle also out scored the Highlander in every category. The Toyotas did do better in the quality rating, although they were nothing special. The Camry and Highlander were slightly better than the Five Hundred. It is interesting that the Five Hundred out scored the Freestyle in the quality ratings. I don't really see how this is rational, since under the covers, they are the same mechanically except for the trunk / station wagon rear end.
Ed
I see where you are confused. The reliability rating was in this months issue of Consumer Reports where they rated some SUV's. It was not in the April issue. The freestyle was not rated but it had a predicted reliability score of much worse than average.
I checked at allData site and pulled up the TSB's for the Freestyle:
05-7-4 APR 05 Body - Wind Noise From Left or Right Side of Windshield 05-6-9 APR 05 Audio System - CD Player Skipping/Locks Up/Inoperative 05-6-2 APR 05 Engine Controls - Driveability Concerns On Deceleration 05-6-4 APR 05 Instruments - False Parking Aid Warnings 05-5-1 MAR 05 Lighting - Intermittent Headlamp Flickers With Key Out 05-4-7 MAR 05 Brakes - Rear Brake Thumping or Roughness 05-3-1 FEB 05 Engine Controls - MAF Sensor Diagnostic Service Tip 04-26-16 DEC 04 Body - Weld Bonding Procedure 04-24-5 DEC 04 A/C/Audio - Defroster/Antenna Grid Diagnosis/Repair 04-24-14 DEC 04 Engine Controls - General PCM Programming Procedures 04-24-3 DEC 04 Steering - Leather Coming Loose From Steering Wheel
I don't know if this is an unusually high number for a new car. But it could be this list, plus complaints from readers, led to their rating. When the first generation LH cars came out, CR gave it an outstanding review but they had to eat their words when reliability complaints started coming in.
By the way, I happened to look at the number of TSB's for the Magnum....... a heck of a lot of them there.

But where is CR getting the data that supports the poor relibability rating? They only send out the survey / appeal for money once a year in time to gather data for their big auto issue.
Most of the TSBs you have listed are just general information bulletins that describe general service or diagnostic proceedures. Most of the ones you listed apply to all Ford vehicles. None are recalls.
Here is a similar list of TSBs for a 2005 Camry with the 3MZ-FE engine:
EL005-05 APR 05 Restraints - Erratic Passenger Air Bag Lamp Operation EG014-05 MAR 05 Cooling System - Radiator Cap Inspection Procedure EG010-05 FEB 05 Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC P0346 EG009-05 FEB 05 Engine Controls - MIL ON/O2 Sensor DTC's Set ST002R-04 FEB 05 Steering/Suspension - Vehicle Pulls/Drifts To The Left EG045R-04 JAN 05 Engine Controls - Entering VIN When Replacing ECM/PCM TC002R-03 DEC 04 Engine/Transmission Controls - Resetting ECM Memory
AC009-04 DEC 04 A/C - Sensor Inspection Procedures BO022-04 DEC 04 Restraint System - Seat Belt Extender Availability BO011R-03 DEC 04 Interior - Console Lid Latch Part Available TC007-04 OCT 04 M/T - Shift Lever is Loose Feeling/Rattles EG044-04 OCT 04 Engine - Main Bearing Journal Diameter Stamping Revision PG007-04 OCT 04 Body - Automatic Door Lock Function/Initialization BO021R-03 OCT 04 Body - Sliding Roof Repair Tips BO031R-01 AUG 04 Wipers/Washers - Windshield Wiper Identification
And the Camry is a "proven" design. It actually has more TSBs than the Freestyle. If this is the reason for a bad reliability rating, why doesn't the Camry have a bad rating? The 2004 Avalon had the same number of TSBs as the Freestyle.
The only thing I have seen that reflects poorly on the Freestyle's reliability was the JD Powers initial quality survey (and it was average) - and that isn't really a judge of reliability. The vehicles have been available for less than a year, so there can be no long term reliability data. It appears to me that CR is just making stuff up in this case.
And it you don't think CR has a Toyota bias, go look at the Tundra ratings. They show Tundra's have having excellent suspension reliability for ever year. This is a joke. Tundras have a major problem with ball joint failures. NHTSA even forced Toyota to recall Tundras to address this dangerous defect. I guess this is what CR considers "excellent" reliability.
Ed