V70 D5 accessories as standard?

Hi all. I am based in the UK, and I'm on the Hunt for a new shape V70 D5 to replace my 1997 2.5D V70. Could someone please clear up a few points for me?

I really want the following extras, and I suspect some are now standard: Cruise Control, Air conditioning, Headlamp wash/wipe, heated seats, CD Player.

My Brochure tells me that Cruise, Air conditioning (well climate control actually), are standard, even on the S model. It also says that the SE has Front foglights, Leather seats, Electric Drivers seat with memory, and a Subwoofer as extras above the S, and that's about all! I find it very hard to believe that Cruise control is standard on all models? I should mention that I got by brochure from a Fleet car event, so I wondered if company car buyers get different options? If my information is correct, an S model with Heated seats as an option is all I need.

Another concern is that the Trip computer is only available on T5, and AWD models. Surely not?

I'm also excited by the other extras, like Home safe & approach lighting, pavement lights in the wing mirrors (??), and an extra cup holder in the dashboard. Comments on the funtionality of these appreciated! Also, I'd like to know how many miles anyone has put on the D5 engine so far. Anyone reached 150,000 miles?

Just one more question, Is there a proper spare wheel provided, or just a crappy bicycle-wheel sized thing?

Answers to some/all questions appreciated. Joe Landy Peterborough UK.

220,000 miles on V70 2.5D SE (open to any offers?)

P.S I had a look round the New V70R over the weekend, and was very impressed. As soon as I sat in it, I knew it was a serious bit of kit. I only had a quick look, but some interior refinements showed up. The cup holders in the centre console were hidden, so they don't gather dust like the exposed ones in the standard model (I always thought the cup-holders in the old V70 were much smarter, and very regularly used by me), Blue Dials are gorgeous, and the built-in mobile phone looked good. Navigation was well-placed too, but I'm not sure if it's as easy to use as the system in my dad's Audi! Anyway, it costs more than I'd like to spend on a house, so I'll keep buying lotto tickets for now.

73s.
Reply to
Joe landy

gadgets on the car and go for a long test drive in one before deciding to part with your hard-earned cash. I have covered 10,000 miles in my V70 D5 SE and frankly do not like it. It is a much bulkier car than my old 850 T5, but with less room inside. My fancy retractible cup holder which can be put away in the dash broke after a few weeks. The auto. transmission is hopelessly mismatched to the engine, shifting unpredictably and too late. It is too large a car for country lanes; it rolls too much on the bends but is very smooth on the motorway. The engine sounds course even for a diesel, but once again is very quiet on the motorway. As far as the precise specification is concerned, you will need to check any individual model which you have your eye on but as I have said, there is much more to a car than the bells and whistles.

Reply to
Mr. Slow

Hello Mr slow, and thanks for your reply. I have heard similar comments to yours before, Especially regarding the Auto Transmission. I first drove a new shape V70 about a year ago, and also yesterday, at a Fleet car show. I have to admit that, although there are some quality issues, I loved the car completely! I admit that the doors don't close 'Like a Volvo', and the D5 engine has to be cranked a fair bit before it fires. My high mileage 2.5D fires up much quicker in fact! My friends & colleagues try to persuade me to look at Audi, Toyota and similar, but quite frankly they don't have the boot space I need, and I can't drag myself away from Volvo, my V70 has served me well. Anyway, as for the automatic transmission, I'm a bit confused. During my test drive yesterday, I gave the vehicle a bit of poke, and it seemed to respond very well, and as soon as I wanted to cruise, it dropped into a higher gear, and I could back right off the pedal. I drove it on a country route, then back to the event on the motorway. I really couldn't fault it!! Engine braking seemed to be ample, and the ride was generally smooth! One thing I did notice was that the car had geartronic control, which I played with a little. I wonder if all the Autos which people complain about are this type? Do these respond differently to the standard Auto? Please speculate more on which type you have! I understand that the Geartronic is only available on the D5 AWD version. I also noticed that the car was very quiet, perhaps a little too quiet. Personally I love to hear some Diesel rumble! As for the car being bulky, Yes I agree, and I noticed myself looking out of the side window on roundabouts; I couldn't see the kerb through the windscreen, it's too far away! Legroom for passengers was limited, as you said, much less room in there than the 850s. A friend of mine has a 2.4 petrol V70 new model, and he rates it very highly but he had a Mondeo previously though........ To draw a conclusion, I'll probably opt for a late Old shape V70, or a manual D5. I'm concerned that buying an old shape now, will mean absolutely no resale value in a couple of years though. I guess if I pile the miles onto it, it won't matter. As for interior features, I use my air conditioning, heated seats, drinks holders, cruise control e.t.c quite regularly, so I'm interested in having a few bells & whistles! I often go out when it's dark in the winter mornings (turn some heat on), then drive well into the day (turn heat down, perhaps some mild aircon on), so Climate would be very welcome too. Cheers for all your suggestions. I'll probably give myself a few months to decide what's best for me. Cheers. Joe Landy. P.S Should I look out for Mr slow's D5 being sold cheap soon? !

"Mr. Slow" wrote in message news:bk9760$tlf$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
Joe landy

This is a characteristic of nearly all common rail diesels- the engine has to spin over a fair bit for the charge pump to pressurise the rail to the million-squillion bar at which they operate before the ecu will fire the injectors so you get a nice smoke-free startup.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for that info Tim. I know little about Common rail diesels. My diesel knowledge grew when I was brought up on a farm, but I have recently let things slip a little. Time I found some more books to study I guess because my dealer sure knows nothing about my TDI! That would also explain why some of the other common rail diesels which I test-drove behaved the same. (test-driving them purely for pleasure you understand!). Still haven't heard from anyone who has covered any considerable mileage in a D5 though. There was a 70K miles SE on the Volvocars UK website for just over £13K. Very cheap I thought, but if 70k miles is low, why hasn't it sold? I saw another one for less money than this, which admittedly wasn't covered by a main-dealer warranty, but decided to wait a while. My V70 classic has become a mileage-challenge. I'm sure it wouldn't sell now. I'm still hooked on the V70 though. No other estate car comes near. Audi A4 is too small, and A6 is just too dear. Mondeo can kiss my backside, and the new vectra is plain ugly! Cheers all. P.S Very slow response from Me I'm afraid, NTL newsgroups only work at certain times of the week. sorry!

Reply to
Joe landy

Hi Joe, You should look at this site lots of info much of which comes from Swedish Volvo employees, this page lists the various topics and is easily and quickly navigated.

Just wish I had known about thios site before I bought my T5.

Best Regards, Brian.

begin 666 v70 forum 2.htm.lnk M3 ````$4`@``````P ```````$8;````( ```&#Z,6CM8\(!`!A51N=DP@$` M!@-I[6/"`4@$`````````0```````````````````$X`% `?#^!/T"#J.FD0 MHM@(`"LP,)T9`"]#.EP`````````````````````````'P`P```````````` M``!V-S @9F]R=6T@,BYH=&T`````1P```!P````!````' ```#,```!S```` M1@```!

Reply to
brian

OK, so how do I view the site? The attachment doesn't open. Problem at my end, or can you post a web address rather than attachment? Cheers. Joe.

Reply to
Joe landy

Sorry, try vvspy.com or this url attached. Look at the forums section and choose whichever subject is appropriate. Hope this works for you.

regards Brian.

begin 666 .url M6TEN=&5R;F5T4VAO

Reply to
brian