wheel noise diagnosed

97 Camry LE 108K miles

Yesterday I rotated the tires myself since they were starting to feather. Afterward I drove down the block and put air in the tires. I had an alignment done two months ago with the state inspection but the tires were never moved.

This morning my wife told me there was a funny noise coming from the car when she backed out of the driveway and hit the brakes. I drove it around the neighborhood but didn't notice anything unusual. Tonight when I went out to meet someone and go out to an adjacent town we heard the wheel making noise as we were leaving the parking lot. We quickly decided to take his car instead.

On the way home it was making much noise but would quiet down when braking. At speeds above 30 MPH you couldn't hear much, but when going slow it sounded like a brake lining or emergency cable rubbing inside the brake drum. Upon arrival home I had identified which wheel was making noise and took off the wheel cover. Much to my chagrin I found all five lugnuts loose. Apparently I had omitted tightening this wheel when lowering the vehicle. I took care of it and then checked the remaining wheels also.

Total miles drived was under 10 and speeds less than 40 MPH. I don't suspect any damage but was wondering if anyone else had different thoughts. Also why would it quiet down the faster I went? Was centrifugal force involved? I never felt any wobbling or other funny sensations at all.

Reply to
badgolferman

The wheel works like a gyroscope. Spin it fast and the law of conservation of angular momentum will explains why it stabilizes.

Pat

Reply to
Greywolf

Did you inspect the rim to see if the holes are worn bigger. Also no thread damage on the studs? That could have been a disaster. Sometimes things like that happen if distracted. I know of an instance where a person took his almost new car in for a oil change at the dealers shop (Ford) and the young guy that had oil rack duty that day was talking to his girlfriend who happened by, anyway he was distracted by his girlfriend and forgot to dump fresh oil in the crankcase. The driver took of and in a couple miles the engine was trashed. Needless to say the young fella was now unemployed and the dealer had to install a new engine. I'm sure Ford did not reimburse the dealership either.

Pays to keep your mind on the job.

Reply to
Dbu~^

As dbu indicated, I would look closely at the holes in the wheels. They are chamfered or beveled so the wheel nut will fit tightly into each hole. If the holes are warbled out the nuts may back off. Worst case: you buy a new wheel.Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

Less than 10 miles at under 40mph should not present a huge problem. Pay particular attention to the affected rim and lug nuts the next time you have a reason to take the tire off.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland