Windscreen Wiper Nightmare!!!

Hi there,

I really hope that someone can give me some advice! I am getting near my wits end with this one!

I have a 1990 Corolla. Occasionally when driving in the rain my wipers stop, I have encountered this problem 3-4 times now and I really need to get it fixed as it is unsafe.

The problem is encountered when I attempt to put the wipers on (any setting) and I get no response. Completely dead. So far I have tried the following:

1 - Checked the fuse. It was fine except for one time, I think this may have been caused by me trying to troubleshoot the problem, I was unplugging/plugging the wiring harness to the wiper motor whilst the wipers were on. At any rate I replaced the fuse and it has not blown since. 2- I checked the connections at the wiper motor. I was surprised to find the harness unit full of a white putty-like material, thinking this could be causing a bad connection I cleaned the unit with an electrical cleaning spray. The contacts are now clean and all contacts look good. 3- I purchased a multimeter (finally) and last time the wipers stopped I pulled over and checked the voltage at the wiper motor (I checked this previously when the wipers were working so I would know which terminals I should test). Nothing, 0.0V. No power getting through? 4- Grounding. I thought that perhaps the circuit had a bad ground. It looks like the motor is grounded very near to the wiper motor unit. This connection appears to be good.

Help!!!!!

Also, I don't know if it could be related but, occasionally when putting on my turn signal I get a noise from the steering column, it sounds like a bad electrical contact. Should I investigate this ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice that people might have.

Charles.

Reply to
Chegron

Cleaning the wite stuff was not a good thing to do because it is supposed to be there.

Go to an auto parts store and purchase dielectric grease and re-apply it in the harness connectors. That stuff prevents corrosion in electrical contacts in wet environments.

If there is 0 volts where you had 12 volts previously, then power is not getting to the point where you are measuring voltage.

To check electrical problems, check voltage at the load (in this case, the load is the wiper motor)

If there is no power at the load, check the fuse, relay, or circuit breaker. In the case of a relay, check control and switched power. If there is no control power, check the switch. If there is no switched power, go back to the power source.

What does a bad electrical contact sounds like?

Reply to
Ray O

FZZZZZZZTTT...FZZZZZZZTTT...FZZZZZZZAPPP!

I know this sound well...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks for the speedy response Ray!

I thought the white stuff might serve a purpose as I couldn't see how it got there, I will pick some up on the weekend and re-apply. I am very glad you pointed this out.

The sound of a bad electrical contact is accurately described by Hachiroku =E3=83=8F=E3=83=81=E3=83=AD=E3=82=AF I.e Fzzzzzzt. I think that = this only happens when I do not fully apply my turn signal. E.g. When changing lanes. I am trying to remember to always apply my turn signal fully.

Your advice on how to check electrical problems poses me with some challenges. Specifically where are these components located? Also what they do, here is my understanding:

Load - Wiper motor. Location is familiar. Purpose is self explanatory. Fuse - Location is behind left kick panel (20V). Purpose is to protect other components of the circuit. Relay - No idea where it is. Purpose is to provide isolation of control signals from switched signals. Circuit Breaker - No idea where it is. Purpose is to open an electric circuit when a short occurs. Power Source - Car battery.

If I can become familiar with carrying out the tests you suggest then I will be in a better position next time the problem occurs.

Cheers, Charles.

Reply to
Chegron
************** You're welcome! **************

I thought the white stuff might serve a purpose as I couldn't see how it got there, I will pick some up on the weekend and re-apply. I am very glad you pointed this out.

************* Next time, when in doubt, ask first ;-) *************

The sound of a bad electrical contact is accurately described by Hachiroku ???? I.e Fzzzzzzt. I think that this only happens when I do not fully apply my turn signal. E.g. When changing lanes. I am trying to remember to always apply my turn signal fully.

************ The contacts on the turn signal switch are wearing. As you have already discovered, apply the switch fully to avoid the problem. ************

Your advice on how to check electrical problems poses me with some challenges. Specifically where are these components located? Also what they do, here is my understanding:

Load - Wiper motor. Location is familiar. Purpose is self explanatory. Fuse - Location is behind left kick panel (20V). Purpose is to protect other components of the circuit.

********** Fuses are rated in amperes and volts. The car has a 12 volt system, the fuse is probably 20 A. **********

Relay - No idea where it is. Purpose is to provide isolation of control signals from switched signals.

********* The relay will probably be in the fuse box under the hood. Look on the under-side the fuse box cover for a diagram identifying fuses, relays, circuit breakers, etc. **********

Circuit Breaker - No idea where it is. Purpose is to open an electric circuit when a short occurs.

*********** Look in the fuse box under the hood first for circuit breakers. They are cylindrical with a button in the middle, unless they are self-resetting. ***********

Power Source - Car battery.

If I can become familiar with carrying out the tests you suggest then I will be in a better position next time the problem occurs.

Cheers, Charles.

*********** Good luck!
Reply to
Ray O

Wow - Thanks again Ray!

You have given me some excellent advice here. I will spend some time over the weekend familiarising myself with these components (and re- applying the dielectric grease, doh!). I hope to find an indication of the fault, possibly at the circuit breaker or the relay.

Regards, Charles.

Reply to
Chegron

Let us know what you find or do not find, and what components you check.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O