84 Rabbit wiper problem

Hi all,

The front wipers on my 84 Rabbit GTI have stopped working. I've checked the fuse and that is fine, but absolutely nothing (no noise, movement or voltmeter dip) happens when I switch the wipers on. My next guesses are a bad wiper relay, followed by a motor/mechanism problem. I'm discounting the motor/mechanism problem for now because of the lack of movement, noise or increased electrical load. Does anyone have tips or tricks for troubleshooting this without just replacing components?

TIA!

Reply to
Usenetboy

Take out the relay & check if its getting power when switched on. Next apply power to the relay sockets for the wiper & see if it works. If the wiper moves when you give it power its not that. If the relay is getting power when wipers are switched its the relay.

Reply to
CanadianCray

A very logical approach, thanks!

Reply to
Usenetboy

You can use a 12 volt test light to chek to see if the relay &/or the wiper motor is getting power. Could just be corrosion on the fuse... HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Hey Fred; why are you dragging that chain across the floor? "Ever tried pushing a chain?"

Reply to
ThaDriver