yaris diesel

hello is it safe increasing the power up to 90 hp with tuning new chip? what problems could come to the engine? thanks

Reply to
Peppino

I really doubt a 'chip' alone is going to get you an additional 90 hp. Since these chips don't do any writing to the ECU, it likely cannot do damage in that regard but since it is tweaking things between the ECU and the engine, it's very likely it could do a lot of things outside parameters and you could even do some damage.

You're also likely voiding any warranties you may have as well.

Reply to
mrsteveo

Um, I think the OP is looking for a total of 90 Hp, not 90 additional Hp.

Reply to
Ray O

Changing chips requires disassembling the engine control computer, so you would not have any warranty coverage on a pretty expensive component.

As far as problems with the engine, it depends on how the chip gains the additional Hp. Diesels are pretty robust, but you may have trouble passing periodic emissions inspections

Reply to
Ray O

Why in the hell do people buy new automobiles and then spend the next year or two trying to make them into something they were not intended to be, and bitching about it in the meantime? If the poster wanted a car with 90 hp, but bought a Yaris with less hp, he has only himself to blame. It's like a tall person buying a mini car and THEN figuring out that he hits his head on the headliner and can't get the seat to go rearward sufficiently? Did he buy the car ON LINE, for cripes' sake? Didn't he check it out pretty thoroughly before his name went on the dotted line? I see these gripes constantly on this newsgroup and others.....and don't understand why these folks seem to buy cars with all the forethought they'd put into buying a candy bar or a movie ticket. But then, some guys decide to marry the girl after a one night stand and when they're still hung over..........

Reply to
mack

I've often wondered about that same question and don't know the answer.

I guess the advice on the t-shirt that reads "Drink till she's cute" is not as useful as the shirt that reads "At 10 she was a 2 and at 2 she was a 10." Ray O

Reply to
Ray O

I had the head problems in the Yaris and got it fixed. And? I bouhght it because of 36 mpg and the cost.

You dont like people trying to make their car better? Go f*ck yourself then.

Reply to
GoMavs

I found an "add-on" which sends "wrong" pressure signals to the engine computer and obtains more fuel. 90hp is the whole power after it.

"Ray O" ha scritto nel messaggio news:pPCdnaaBxe_SHk7bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Peppino

I don't think it's very prudent of people to purchase the wrong automobile in the first place. Like you evidently, freddy fukkup

Reply to
mack

I love 'em! Thanks for the laughs, Ray!

Reply to
mack

Oh nothing much, just breaking the bottom end of the engine - hole a piston, break a rod... Which is why you have to do anything like that carefully and in a controlled manner.

With due care to create a proper anti-static workstation (static bench mat, wrist straps, grounded soldering iron and other ESD precautions), and the right chip extractor and other tools, it isn't that much of a hazard. Anyone who works on Personal Computers at the component level already has the right gear available.

The car ECU computers are ruggedized from outside static damage, but when you open the case you just bypassed all the MOV static protection at the ports, so beware. Any mistake can easily cost over $1,000 USD to fix, could top $2,500 Replacement ECU's are not cheap - partly because they so rarely go bad the prices stay high. (I'd convert to Lire or Euro, but I don't want to hear Peppino sobbing...)

How much is the stock engine output? If you start at 70 HP, 90 HP at full throttle is a reasonable boost to expect. But if the baseline is 50 HP, they may be asking too much of the engine.

Watch for visible smoke from the tailpipe at wide open throttle, on a diesel that is a sure sign of incomplete combustion. Too much fuel for the engine speed and load, or not enough fresh air - a restricted air filter or air intake or exhaust system.

Whatever you do (ECU computer memory chip or add on signal converter) get it in writing that the company putting out this modification takes responsibility as a supplement to the factory warranty in case the engine has problems, at least for the first six months to a year. If you don't have problems by then, you probably never will.

That's how we weed out the bad 'fly by night' companies from the responsible ones - the good ones always stand behind their products. The bad ones stand off to one side, and always have a ten-foot head start if they need to run. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Is it a new chip or just a software downloaded via ODB?

Reply to
EdV

Bruce's advice is right on the mark (as usual).

Reply to
Ray O

I mean this

"EdV" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Peppino

Reply to
Peppino

The device may or may not work. Does the 18 month warranty include getting your money back if you are not satisfied?

Reply to
Ray O

I think it doesn't include money back. and they do not cover damages caused by the device.

"Ray O" ha scritto nel messaggio news:UuydnVZ5UIP7hUjbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Peppino

Hmm, those would be two big negative flags to me.

Reply to
Ray O

yes actually. they say they are only resellers and they do not produce the add on

"Ray O" ha scritto nel messaggio news:-pydncCTYa51vEvbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Peppino