'01 Camry shuts down.

Hello all, I have a question about an '01 Camry 4 cyl. This car is used as a taxi here in Cairns, Australia. It has approx 567,000 klms on the clock and has given no trouble till just lately. We have changed the computer, fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs and leads. The car still cuts out and won't restart for about 15 minutes, when it does start it runs as good as new. We have come to our wits end as what is causing this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. John.

Reply to
John

Get a repair shop to measure if the ignition system is OK. It could be a rotor or distribution cap that is faulty...

Reply to
CamryV6

Sounds like an electronic part is getting overcome by heat. This might be the ignition unit or the induction pickup(s). Also, considering the high mileage and use, the ignition switch itself may be suspect. DO unplug, clean, and reconnect everything having to do with the starting/running circuitry under the hood.

Reply to
Philip

I had a coil do that and on another motor a 2 stroke an ignition module. It could be several things. When it happens start to trace everything back starting with spark at the plugs, or voltage at the distributor.

Reply to
m Ransley

On my 01 now when it rains or is humid it starts in the morning and after it is warm it cuts out till I let it sit for 30 minutes till the coil dries, I need a coil and I suspect the last mechanic to change the cap reused the old Cap gasket and it does not seal. Is that car original motor and trans, You have alot of km on it ,nice to hear they run that long

Reply to
m Ransley

Many thanks for the replies to my question, I will try what you have suggested. May you all have a safe and happy holiday season.

John.

Reply to
John

I think Philip is on target here. Very often a failing ignition module will react that way when hot.

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."

- Justice William O. Douglas

Reply to
MisterSkippy

could be bad coils seen that on this car before

Reply to
toyotawiz

I would like to thank you all for you advice. The problem has been solved, it was a faulty New fuel pump. Guess because it is new it doesn't mean it is right. Many thanks. John.

Reply to
John