02 Camry SE V6 - Compressor failure - $1800+???

Damn!

I've got 68k miles on this thing. Last Friday, while returning from a trip, the A/C light started flashing and it quit cooling. It wasn't so hot outside (it was cool in the south eastern US that day) so I didn't burn up.

BUT.

I took it in to my dealer on Saturday. They claim the compressor is locking up, and they also claim that metal bits contaminate the system and force replacing other components too. So I'm hit with a $1800+ bill here. That seems completely out of whack for a car that only cost like $26k.

What gives? Should I take it someplace else?

Reply to
Roger Zoul

Of course take it somewhere else dealers are rip offs, , someone has to pay for the free coffee and nice showrooms.

Reply to
m Ransley

m Ransley wrote: || Of course take it somewhere else dealers are rip offs, , someone has || to pay for the free coffee and nice showrooms.

Would you have a general recommendation on a good place to have the work done (like some chain store -- I'm in SC)? Thanks.

Reply to
Roger Zoul

Talk to people you know, cars are cars. a good sign is a full repair lot and a mechanic that wont see you for a few days. Also get a few bids, there are alot of good independant garages in every city

Reply to
m Ransley

trip,

up.

locking

Mine also started making a knocking noise. It couldn't be turned a complete

360 degrees by hand. The AC guy who's maintrade was auto-electrician, recommended a new (Toyota) comp which set me back $750 (Australian). He then inspected the piping and condensor for any metal debris,..reverse pressurised the system at various points, but noticed no swarf,.. He replaced the drier, which also catches any debris and did a normal re-gas procedure,...all up $1350.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

If it is internal falure and if metal pieces circulated thru the system (doubt it) -- you will need a new accumulator (good idea even if no contamination --- last one I bought was $40) and perhaps the expansion valve. You will need to have the system flushed too. You should be able to get a rebuilt compressor cheaper than a new OEM one.

trip,

up.

locking

Reply to