4-wheel alignment question

I plan on having the rear MacPherson struts replaced on my old 1986 Camry soon, and others have told me that a 4-wheel alignment should be done along with such replacements.

I had a look at the rear underside of this vehicle, and wonder if anything IS adjustable on the rear end. Each wheel housing has a MacPherson strut, two control arms connecting it to the frame, and a strut connecting the junction of the MacPherson strut and forward control arm to the frame. Also, this Camry one doesn't have a stabilizer bar running between each wheel (unlike the front end).

I'm thinking that if I naively request a 4-wheel alignment, a shop might charge me extra when in reality there isn't any such work to be performed.

Can anyone shed some understanding on this? Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
M. Hamill

Almost all newer cars have a rear end adjustment. There should be a cam visible somewhere in the bottom of the link.

Reply to
HachiRoku

You might want to look at the current Corolla and any other cars with a trailing arm rear suspension. NO adjustments of any kind.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Ok, Interesting. Gotta remember, I'm Old School. The newest Toy I own is a '95 Tercel...and I drive beaters to and from work!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Previous the current generation Corolla, the older Corollas had toe adjustment on the rears. Camry has retained this more sophisticated suspension. Your Tercel may also have an adjustment free trailing arm. Crawl under and take a look!

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

From what I remember when I did the brakes, I don't believe there is an adjustment. Unless you do it Lotus Europa style (a brass hamme and a little elbow grease!)

The Celica GTS has Camber (er, Caster?) and toe. The Corolla GTS has toe.

Reply to
HachiRoku