2006 Camry SE Good Car?

Is this the last of the really rugged Camrys, or the first of the chintzier ones? It has 55k miles on it, and service records, supposedly. Any known issues? Thanks in advance. (We were looking for a Corolla, but this is going for less than they are at the moment in this locale - $13k.)

Reply to
Leftie

Dang, sorry - it's the four with automatic.

Reply to
Leftie

yes it is a good car buy but I prefer a 2007 cauae it is a redesigned one

Reply to
msrdude

The trouble with the redesign is they apparently made them cheaper, with looser engine tolerances to compensate for lower quality components. From what I'm reading 2006 is the last year of the previous, hopefully rugged, generation.

Reply to
Leftie

I have a 2000 Camry and my parents have a 2006 Camry. Both great cars. My grandparents have a 2007 Camry with almost 100,000 kms on the dial and not a noise. My parents car (2006) seems to be excellent as-well. It has almost 150,000 kms on it now and again no problems thus far. My

2000 has over 200,000 on it now. It has needed some minor fix-ups but nothing huge. I have also read that it was true that the 2007 Camry was less rugged then the outgoing model, but my experience with it has been nothing less than perfect. Hope this helps. My opinion, I would get the Camry over the Corolla. Its bigger, more powerful and still excellent on gas!
Reply to
camryguy89

Thanks for the helpful post. I've read some of the reviews at kbb.com, and it seems that the 2002-2006 generation had some problems in the early years on some individual cars, but they ironed them out nicely. That's what makes this car appealing: low mileage, recent vintage and the end of the production run instead of the beginning.

Reply to
Leftie

We looked at it this evening. Decent shape, and the oil was changed regularly, but it appears to have had *no* other service - not even brakes, at 55k miles! Shouldn't Toyota have suggested a trans flush by now, or are they try for 'low cost of ownership at the expense of longevity...?

The carpets were pretty dirty, too. Not loose dirt, stains...

Reply to
Leftie