'07 Tire Pressure Monitoring System - WITHOUT SENSORS!

Hi all:

In the past, I've asked about the TPMS on the '07 Camry. This is because I wanted to put snow tires on a new set of wheels and didn't want to have to get the dealer to reprogram the car twice a year, switching the sensors each time. The local Toyota dealers seem to think that if you don't reprogram the IDs of the new set of sensors, that the warning light will stay on all the time. I didn't want to deal with new sensors so I decided to just get new wheels without sensors and live with the light on all winter. (I figured a piece of tape over the light would do the trick.)

ANYWAYS,,.... Not needed! I swapped the new sensor-less snow tires onto the car and the warning light does not come on! Apparently, the car only reports a problem if there are sensors in place and they detect a tire that is too low - not also missing sensors.

Of course, I'll have to monitor the tire pressure myself, but I've been doing that for over 30 years anyway.

Just figured to get this into the archives in case someone else wants to know how this works.

Reply to
David In NH

Nice! Thanks for the heads up!

Reply to
EdV

Well, the warning light MAY still come on later! I put snows on without sensors and my warning light came on two weeks later. After a couple of weeks it went off. Few days later came back on again after hitting the brakes real hard. So, don't be surprised if it comes on at some point!

John

Reply to
JEB

Interesting. I'm surprised since there is no sensor in place, that the warning light would go on and off. I'd figure that whatever it did would not be subject to the whims of braking. (But then, I guess I'd be wrong.)

- David

Reply to
David In NH

I put my new non-sensored wheels 'n snows on several weeks ago. The only time the TP warning symbol came on was when traction control kicked in. It stayed on for the remainder of the journey.

The next time I started up, it was off, and has stayed off. TC has not kicked in since that time either.

I like the way it is set up. No blaring warning.

Reply to
Bob H