1986 Camry LE engine noise/alternator

Starting off, this Camry is an awesome car, and it gets better gas mileage then my 96 Civic I had before it.

I just recently replaced the alternator in this car, and knowing the car's history, that was the forth (including the original) in about three years. I don't mind replacing it, because I have a life time warranty, but fixing this problem is better. The helper at the place I got it from said it might be my starter putting too much amperage (voltage?) into the alternator, but he also tagged on that the alternator would have croaked sooner if this were the problem. I haven't done much snooping around in the engine because my knowledge of repairs is basic at best, so someone's "expertise" is needed.

Engine noise: The car has trouble starting (more so in winter) so I have to give it gas before it sputters to life, after that the car runs fine at idle. Taking my friends advice I got some fuel injector/carburetor fuel treatment to fix this problem. It worked on the first start after putting it in but after that it was the same old thing. I ran the car for about a gallon's worth of use (after treatment) and after sitting at idle for about 10 minutes one day it started to run very loud when giving gas. Now the car sounds like it doesn't have a muffler, even though I know it does and it doesn't seem to have holes anywhere in it. the RPMs stay within their normal zones and the car doesn't buck or anything unusual.

Is this a dirty carburetor? Is it even a carburetor problem?

-Mr. Longest Post Ever

Reply to
alpha_omega

Did a mechanic put in the alternator, was it a rebuild, Well rebuilds are crap, Get Toy parts for all electrical even wires. And BS the starter is loading the alternator, at startup you use the battery, but to give your mech back his BS have him do a starter draw test. If the starter was bad your battery would not handle it. A good honest mechanic would test alternator output at running to be sure load is normal,and put in a genuine Toy unit for free.

Reply to
m Ransley

I put the alternator in myself, and yeah the alternator is a rebuilt one, so I guess the problem lies within the alternator..

Reply to
alpha_omega

It is common for all the big auto stores to sell alternators, starters,etc that are in fact not rebuilt but quickly gone over junk. I`ve been through 5 starters before I got my money back. Best Is new Toy parts for anything but plugs , hoses and belts. Even thermostats, I had one that the mech put in and the car never heated up right, till 5 years later I replaced it and found the gasket was not wide enough so water always bypassed it. Sure OEM is alot more $, but OEM works.

Reply to
m Ransley

The alternator does not start charging the battery until after the engine has started. Not sure why 4 would fail as they are hardy devices capable of long running at high current.

, but he also tagged on that the

Sounds like the muffler or cat-convertor or engine-pipe has a bad leak exhaust leak. This is not conected with the engine running unless a large amount of fuel collected in the muffler during cranking and exploded on ignition.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Cute Zpee, way to go onto a board and erase someone's name and profile.

By the way, thanks Jason. I'm looking into my car's muffler warrenty status now. All of you guys have been a big help.

Reply to
alpha_omega