98 Camry--EGR insufficient

I have 98 Camry w/ 70k miles. CEL came on 2 days ago. Went to Auto Zone for free diagnostic, which displayed "EGR Insufficiency."

The CEL came on immediately after a gas station attendant put in premium when I had asked for regular. This may be a silly question, but could this cause such a reading?

Also: can anyone tell me where I find the EGR and how difficult it is to remove and clean?

What tests can be done to pin down problem?

If the EGR itself is bad, is it expensive?

Are there any other possible causes of problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
ravgil

The slightly higher octane should help if anything. Tank cap might not be properly seated. Next might try some fuel system cleaner. If you work on your cars get and follow a repair book. Auto Zone will have rubber and plastic replacement parts, repair assemblies, O-rings, gaskets, sealer. Otherwise get written repair estimates from the dealer and several shops that do Toyotas. My dealer starts with the estimate and when the car is all apart the needs and cost skyrocket. The former Toyota tech at the gas station on the corner lives by his estimate. 70 thousand is time for a new water pump and timing belt and several other parts that go along with it. Highly suggest pay to have it done, it's more trouble than you most likely want to get into. Just had my

2000 Camry done, 91K. My timing belt looked fine, water pump was leaking but dried crud had mostly sealed it and the pump bearing sounded like a dog in the garbage can. Good luck with yours.
Reply to
Charlie

Possibly gas cap was left loose, or tank overfilled.

Reply to
m Ransley

Gas has no effect on EGR efficiency EGR valves opens up allowing exhaust gases to enter the combustion process and cool the burn, reducing the combustion temp=less smog. Using a vacuum pump, open the egr valve at idle, The car should stumble and/or die. The next thing the car wants to see is the EGR effect. Some cars do it by meters on the valve, some by vacuum readings, and Nissans by a temperature sender. I'm not sure how a Toyota does it (off the top of my head) So, if the system isn't reading correctly, than it could be the sensor or clogged ports in the intake.. I'm beginning to Hate EGR systems, for sometimes they can be a bear to fix

Reply to
Steve