1991 4 cyl power steering leak

The leak is not at the reservoir. I took quick look and do not immediately see the pump. Please, where is pump located and how difficult to replace it or the high pressure hose. Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
Seamus J. Wilson

see the pump.

Reply to
Mark Miller

double check the leak source. high pressure hose maybe leaking and dripping down on the pump. try observing area with engine running and turning wheel to one side and keep a slight pressure on steering wheel in locked position, that should cause the pressure increase and show the leak source. I was told my pump and rack was leaking, found high pressure hose had a small leak under pressure. Hose replacement can be a DIY if you have jack stands, floor jack, assorted metric wrenches. Note: Your high pressure hose maybe in two sections. The hose is part rubber and rigid tubing. hose repair is not recommended. the hose assembly is sold at most auto parts shops. Good Luck.

Reply to
jjjsan

Reply to
Seamus J. Wilson

Hi all on group.

I had a leak like you describe some months ago. It seemed to be from the Steering pump area.

I got it checked out at a local shop so one could look underneath. they confirmed the pump.

But I still had a full Steering fluid reservoir.

I took samples of fluids from the car.

1 clean drip from leak. 1 from dipstick engine oil 1 from Power steering reservoir 1 from Brake fluid reservoir 1 from Auto Box dipstick.

and compared them. IT WAS ENGINE OIL by a mile.

I cleaned all the area between firewall and the back of the 4. with a good dose of GUNK. And the leak was from the back left hand corner of the Rocker Cover. It was seeping on to a protruding fitting then going over it and running on to the steering pump. It was very difficult to see. Mirror and bright light helped.

On MY 4 cyl 1995 2.2 CAMRY The rocker cover & gasket is held down with 4 X 30 mm nuts on the top of the Spark Plug tubes.

I took these up half a turn and it cured the leak.. I now have a new gasket but the leak has not turned up again. So its not been fitted yet.

Maybe this helps you.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM