1991 camry 4 cyl

The right rear window will not operate from the driver's side switch assembly or the up down switch on the right rear door. Other windows all operate. Before I rip the door panel off, is there a fuse for this window operation? If so location please. Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
sligo

It is not the fuse or relay if the other windows operate properly.

When only 1 window does not work, it is either the master switch, the switch on the door, the motor, or the harness. The only other possibility is the regulator is binding. Those are the only causes.

You will need a factory service manual or wiring diagram to diagnose the switches and harness. The switch at the inoperable door will have 5 terminals. Continuity between the terminals will vary as you move the switch in the up, down, and off positions. The master switch will have a bunch of terminals and diagnosing is basically the same way.

If either of the switches gets exposed to moisture often, like driving in the rain with the window open or spilled drinks, the internal contacts can get corroded.

The motor will have a power connector with 2 terminals. Apply 12 volts power and ground to the terminals and the motor should operate. Reverse the connections and the motor should operate in the opposite direction.

To see if the regulator itself is binding, you will have to remove the motor and see if the regulator moves.

Reply to
Ray O

One would be well advise to operate ALL switches on occasion, to keep the contacts clean. It is most often the switch least used that is first to go because of arking across corroded contacts.

mike hunt

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
SlimPickens

Reply to
sligo

On both my Celica and my Supra, corroded contacts were the culprit.

I pulled the switches from the door panel, sanded them down using an emery board and a small fingernail file, and then put a LIGHT cotaing of solder on them (CAREFUL!!! Don't let the solder run ANYWHERE! I found out the hard way that, for some reason, there is a LOT of current running through this switch! Enough to 'weld' the screwdriver I was using for testing to the contacts!)

Reply to
hachiroku

It seems to happen to smokers more often because they drive with the window cracked open and strays drops of water blow in.

LOL! Reminds me of Woody on Cheers talking about finding out the hard way that "flammable" and inflammable" are the same thing.

Lots of current runs through the window switch because the current doesn't pass through a relay.

Reply to
Ray O

Two for two there, Ray! Although I have only owned the car for three years, and I don't think any of the other owners were smokers.

However, when you rip the AC out, I guess you gotta open the window, even when it's raining!

Yeah, I wonder why. I also noticed something else weird about the system, but I can't remember what it was. Something to do with the switch logic, and the way it reverses the current.

Reply to
hachiroku

Those lexan vent shades that attach to the forward edge of the door frame seem like a good idea.

It is probably easier to use heavier wires that are direct-wired than using relays. If either the master or one of the door switches is bad, then the window will not work, almost as if they are wired in series.

Reply to
Ray O