1991 camry problems

I own a 1991 camry that has had regular maintenance but is currently having some difficulties. I know the starter is going out because occasionally when I turn the key it makes a cranking noise, but doesn't start until the second or third try. But also, the acceleration has been getting sluggish and when I accelerate quickly, for instance on a freeway on-ramp, the acceleration is not smooth. Could these two problems be connected? I don't know much about starters-or auto maintenance. So if you guys can give me some hints, I would be very grateful. Thank You

Reply to
karenfay

starter and acceleration are not related have the spark plug wires ever been checked?

Reply to
Daniel

Your starter works, but I bet you never had a tune up.

Reply to
m Ransley

This only applies if you have the 4 cylinder.

I wouldn't overlook the 'cold start injector' for starting issues (if the issue is noticed only when the engine is cold).

It is very easy to replace and relatively inexpensive.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Also, has the fuel filter ever been changed?

Reply to
johngdole