1991Toyota Camry Lamp Fairlure Sensor (The Expensive Little Yellow Box)

On my Camry the rear lights where not working. I took it to a mechanic he said it was the sensor. He took it out and was looking for a after market sensor,he was unsuccessful. He told me that it can only be purchased at the dealer. To make a long story short, I got the sensor, I connected one wire to the sensor now the other wire with a blue connector I don't know where it goes. Does any one know where this wire goes? Also, I replaced all the bulbs, and I am still not getting the signal light. Is it because I did not connect the other wire from the sensor? Please help.

P.S. Toyata Dealer Wants $190.00 for that stupid little yellow box(Lamp Failure Sensor) They are such a Crook

Reply to
joecamry91

Sorry, but I don't remember the wire / connector colors and I don't have a schematic for my long-gone Camry. Maybe you should have your mechanic put it back the way he took the old one out?

Anyway, this is a soft spot for the early models - and you may not be happy to hear that in some cases the sensor isn't the problem.....

The sensor measures continuity of the lamp circuit. So, if the rear lights still don't work after the new sensor is installed....then check the integrity of the wiring harness at the left trunk hinge. Sometimes the constant flexing will cause one or both of the wires to break or get pinched and short out. If that isn't the problme then make sure that the bulb bases are making good contact with their sockets and that the socket ground wires are securely attached to the body; any small corrosion here will result in faulty sensor operation.

Now, if you get the brake lights to work with the new sensor and you are into self-abuse, open up the old sensor and check for cold solder joints or burnt traces on the board. Usually you can resolder / fix the burnt jumper and avoid buying a new sensor. Or, you can even wire around it. Toyota used to make a $4.00 jumper that you could use in place of the sensor (obviously, disabling the light indicator) but I have been told that it is NLA. With a schematic you could easily wire around it.

HTH.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I agree. For less than an hour's labor an auto-electrician could just wire a bypass set of wires: one for brake, one for park, one each for left and right indicator and one for reverse,....if most other cars get away with-out this light-failure sensor box,...the Camry can too.

Like a lot of techinical 'advances': they are great *while* they are working.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Travis, thanks so much for the information. The problem was due to a lose bulb, the signal light works now. And The wire with the blue connector just hangs, It does not connect to anything, I have a friend who has the same car he came by my house and we looked at his car to see where the wire connect to. We saw that it connect to nothing. Again thank you very much.

Joe

Reply to
joecamry91

Thanks for the info. Jason The problem was a lose bulb and the wire with the blue connector just hangs it does not get connected to any thing.

Thanks again,

Joe

Reply to
joecamry91

i dont know what cable ur talking about bc i havent had a prob with my lights yet, but my neighb has a 94 or so civic and same thing was happening, took it to a dealer for an estimate, they said he had to leave the car overnight and who knows what the heck but it would cost $200 or so, he came over to me, i suggested that he check the fuses and relay, and bulb...some bulbs have 1 or 2 poles (the tips) if u have one then ur bulbs does to things, it turns on when ur park lights go on, and shines brighter when u apply the brakes, either way, check that out, whose knows, might be a false connection so rub down the contacts to get a clean connection

Reply to
NOSKiDD