2000 Camry Maintenance?

Hello all,

I could use some direction - Please.

I just purchased a 2000 Camary LE 4cyl with 84K miles. The car is in overall good shape, and it seems to be kept up. I think the previous owner keep up with the maintenance (I noticed oil change stickers in the window); however, I do not know the maintenance history. So here are my questions:

  1. At 84K miles, is it time for a timing belt change?
  2. Can I tell if the previous owner changed the timing?
  3. Can you recomend anything else.

So far, I cleaned the throttle plates because of the "sticky" gass pedal....

I appreciate any help, and I look forward to any input...

Thanks

Reply to
Todd

Geeze , Look at your manual and follow it.

Replace fluids and use synthetics where you can in , Power steering, Transmission , Motor oil, Differential, .Flush and ck brakes repair if necessary. Replace plugs and wires and cap use platinum plugs., Belts and timing belt water pump, hoses, Flush cooling system .Air filter. Oxygen sensor . Tires, tires balanced. Etc Etc.

With 84k the previous owner surely skipped most upcoming maintenance saving himself 1000 - 3500+ US, now its your problem if you want it to last.

Now at 84 is when alot of maintenance is necessary

For better mileage use synthetics in the trans, engine and differential. Mobil is best. It does lower friction. I gained 3-4 mpg here . Increasing tire pressure to the maximum allowed by the tire will reduce rolling resistance, although the ride may be harsh, you can lower it. I found the recommended 31-30 to mushy in steering and handling. I use 41 lb and gained 2 -3 mpg. New plugs, cap, wires, rotor, Air filter, can add 3-4 mpg.

Be sure timing is set and have car checked on a scope.

CV joints can go at 84

Batteries can go after 2-5 yrs

Thermostat? Radiator cap? Emissions system, Struts ?

I just did this and raised my 4 cil camry mpg. Avg last year of 20 - 28 to 26 -38 , And my plugs, cap, filter had only 15000.

If i was going to sell a car I would not maintain it, Get records.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks for the reply.

I would look at the manual if I had it :-).

The obvious maintenance (fluids, brakes, filter...) I will take care of.

What about the timing belt? What is the recommended time to replace?

Thanks again,

Todd.

Reply to
Todd

I have heard various advice on this....it always seems to be between 60000 and 90000 miles. After 100000 mile, I was told that you are "pushing your luck" although people certainly have let them run longer than that with no problem. The general practice also seems to be to inspect and/or replace the water pump while the mechanic has everything apart for the timing belt work since most of the cost of these jobs is labor.

So I would definitely have these 2 items on your to-do list at 84000 miles, especially if you are fairly sure that they haven't been done already by previous owner.

Reply to
NoSpam
60000 miles for a 91. While its apart the water pump is a good idea. Id contact the previous owner to see if it was done. But an honest mechanic can tell. Its apx a 350- 400$ job. Any auto store sells Chilton Camry manuals, good thing to have as for 90000 m 4 mechanics said I did not have a separate differential oil resevoir. My first belt broke at 112000 , its better to replace it than get stranded.
Reply to
m Ransley

If you find the belt was replaced be sure to have the timing checked. , stretched belts retard timing reducing power and efficiency.

Reply to
m Ransley