1992 Camry, NO SPARK; 4 CYl LE

Hey All, I posted here a weekago, as I was in the process of diagnosing why my car just stopped running on the highway. The fuel pump is fine, you can here it kick in under the tank as the key turns. I pulled off the Distributer cap and there is a plastic piece surronding the rotoR THAT IS CRACKED loose. Keep in ar has 280K on it and had a new distributer and cap 2 yrs ago at 250K. I pulled the cap off because there was no spark coming outa the plugs. Can anyone pleae help me??? Anyone know where the ignition midule is? -Charlie, NJ

Reply to
Chuckyg

Isnt that cracked piece your problem? It is worth looking at the coil first, they do fail. Or any loose or bad connection.

Reply to
m Ransley

WHat coil do you mean? Is it the one attached to the front of the block? (Engine HEad)? I tried reataching all the plugs and wires with a little CRC spraying over the metal parts...

Reply to
Chuckyg

The coil that takes 12v and makes 30000v for spark plugs, its under the distributor cap. The bad thing is , I think you have to pull the distributor to replace it . So test voltages first to be sure it is getting 12v.

Reply to
m Ransley

I pulled the cap and distributter all the way off.... Pulled the distributer out and have it in my garage now. Just how do I distinguish whats a matter with the distributer?

My girlfirend was at the key and turned while I got under the gas tank to hear the pump kick in....well i heard it so it is gettin gas. I pulled a wire and plug out and held it against the block and saw no spark. So we know we have no spark. SO just how do I fix the distributer???

Regards- Chuck-Jersey SHore NJ

Reply to
Chuckyg

A test to see if the coil was getting power could have been first with distributor in place, Id ck that first. Now that it is removed you will need an ohm meter to measure resistance of the coil but I dont have the specified coil resistance for your year.

A Chiltons manual available at auto stores will have diagnostic info and specs and lead you through likely causes and proper testing and repairing . You are into a job that you really need a manual as there are to many details to relay, even if I had that manual , I would lead you wrong and you may miss a simple fix , like a loose wire. The distributor reinstall is another area you must be careful and follow procedure. Good luck

Reply to
m Ransley