1995 Camry Breakdown

I drive a toyota camry 1995 le. While driving the car stopped responding when i pressed the gas. It came to a halt on the sholder. The car is still running, when it is in Drive and when I press the gas the RPM and the speedometer are moving but the car was still.

The car has 134k miles on it. V4 automatic.

I checked the transmission fuild and it is fine.

Please advice what it could be ???

Reply to
TeriMaki

<psommerhalder

Definitely not the timing belt - the engine wouldn't run at all if it was broken.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Reply to
Ed Warren

I guess you meant the RPM was moving but the speedo was not? Provided there were no loud noises coming from under the car while you were trying to move off,..which would indicate a broken drive shaft for example,..then the transmission has failed. The reason why could be one of a few reasons, like a snapped band, or stuck pistons in the valve-body, or a failed oil-pump, or perhaps something simple like a clogged filter. Afraid its time to have the car towed to the local transmission place, one with a good name in the trade (ask around friends and family ).

Its up to you to decide whether the car is worth the expense of a repaired transmission or a replacement trans. If your car and engine are otherwise in excellent order, then it maybe worth it. 134,000 miles is not a huge mileage for a Camry provided the engine has had the specified oil-changes and the cooling system has been maintained correctly as per the handbook. If the engine is using oil or has some other issues, or the body and interior is rough..it maynot be worth repairing

Best o luck, Jason

Reply to
Jason James

When you say the "fluid is fine" - has it ever been changed?

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks for the info and advice. It was the tranny. I was in canada to visit a friend and all this happend. Found a local guy to fix it with a used tranny (50k KM) from a Japanese used import place for 1100$ CAD. He also pointed out a boken boot on the driver side and he replaced the axle at the same price.

He said the engine was in good condition but pointed out a leak from the pulley seal. He then suggested not to over fill the engine oil when changing the oil and keep it a little low than the high mark. That would not put pressure on the seals.

I live in NYC and I drove back home without any problems (520Miles) Don't want to buy a new car as there is street parking only. The closest garage is about 1 mile away from my house. So decided keep this car and use it locally and not stress it as much.

Thanks again.

Reply to
TeriMaki