1995 camry I4 - how much engine oil drains?

How much % of engine oil is able to drain through the removed plug? How close to 100% will it be?

Is it practical to dain&fill the engine twice during the oil change?

Reply to
Pszemol

Hello everyone,

Hoping someone can lead me in the right direction here...

I was changing the spark plugs to my Camry when I noticed that one of them was really wet with oil. I don't see any oil leaks anywhere though.

I am thinking that I will probably need to replace some seals. Can anyone point out which ones?

Thanks much.

-joe

Reply to
Joe

yes but why ? seems wasteful.

Reply to
Justa Lurker

== Change the "grommets" at the top of the spark plug tubes under the 30 mm valve cover nuts. Also recommend changing the valve cover gasket and use FIPG material at the four points indicated in the manual.

Reply to
Daniel

Check the Factory Service Manual for "dry fill" capacity, then compare to drain and fill capacity. I think the difference is something like .

75 US quarts. If you're going to drain and fill more than once, just drive the car a while to bring it back up to operating temperature, then drain again. Would also be OK to go perhaps 500 miles and then drain again. The fresh detergent additives in the new oil will help clean the engine, also the repeated drains help clean the oil more completely. Also helps to drain hot oil over night. Could also check auto-rx.com. Also, fully synthetic oil tends to keep the inside of an engine cleaner. This is a bit extreme just for cleaning oil, but when I replaced the oil pan gasket I also cleaned the inside of the pan thoroughly. This will also result in cleaner oil. The main thing is regular oil change intervals. Changing the oil a few times at 500 or 1000 miles can also be helpful.
Reply to
Daniel

I change my spark plugs when the engine is cold, for reasons that a colder engine is easier to handle, except when changing oil. Tighten first by hand then finally use a ratchet for final tightening. And I imagine the metal expands when hot and if my spark plug is cold they wont match well.

Reply to
EdV

So is it practical or wasteful? Make up your mind... ;-)

Reply to
Pszemol

Sounds reasonable.

One more question: If I want to use only one oil filter - when should I replace the filter? During the 1st drain or the 2nd, final drain?

I do not follow here... Are you suggesting opening the drain plug when engine is hot and leaving it open over night?

How much more can I gain doing this?

Great link - I have it bookmarked - thanks.

Yes, it sounds quite extreme :-)

Reply to
Pszemol

You may need the valve cover gasket set that includes 4 rubber plug tube grommets. Can try first tighening the cover nuts -- all four in alternate pattern gradually. I think these are 30 or 32mm.

FEL-PRO VS50304R valve cover gasket set $14.78 on

You can also pick up a tube of sensor safe red RTV from your local 99- cent store.

If it isn't the grommet leaking, then it can be the bottom of the plug tube. These tubes are inserted and sealed using RTV. Need to be free of oil. But check to verify your production of 5sfe.

Reply to
johngdole

I'll say wasteful to drain/refill twice every oil change.

Use Purolator PureOne or Bosch Filtech with each oil change 3000 miles. Up to 5000 miles if mostly highway "normal" service. (Toyota reduced interval from 7500 down to 5000 in 2004).

messagenews:GlOVi.37155$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.>

Reply to
johngdole

== Final drain. That way the clean filter is there over the longer term.

== Yes. - Just be sure no other driver could jump in the car and think it OK to drive.

== Enough to make a difference. It's not so much the quantity but that you're letting it drip out the slowest draining dirtiest oil.

Reply to
Daniel