1997 Camry timing sprocket

I'm changing the timing belt on my '97 Camry. I'm also changing the timing sprocket because I damaged some teeth on it when removing the pulley. How do you get the sprocket off? The new one I bought has holes for using a puller, but the original one that I need to get off has no holes.

thanks for any suggestions

Reply to
moon11

It 'should' slide right off. Check to make sure that the key way is not cocked sideways, and if it is appropriate to your engine, you can remove the keyway if it is a separate piece by taking a small screwdriver and prying it away from the crankshaft (just don't drop it!). The other alternative is to take a small hammer and tap on the face of the sprocket for a little while. You may have a little rust on the inner race.

Reply to
qslim

It uses a key for alignment so it's not press-fit. Unless there is corrosion and seized it should come off fairly easily.

Like the crank pulley, it may not seem to budge, but continue to wiggle and pull it should come right off. In the worse case you can probably drill your own bolt holes but make sure you protect the crank pulley threads when using a puller.

Reply to
johngdole

While you are at it, I'd replace:

older

prices: GATES TCK199 (kit of timing belt with two pulleys and instruction) $84.79 GATES Part # K030295 PS belt $4.32 GATES Part # K050435 Alt/AC $12.12 FEL-PRO TCS45641 Cam seal $4.11 FEL-PRO TCS45920 Crank seal $6.04 BCA Part # 221820 Oil pump seal $2.71 AISIN (Toyota #16110-79185) water pump $58.79 FEL-PRO VS50304R valve cover gasket set $13.94

Gates is a high tech belts/hoses company. Check out their Poly Chain

-- out lasts chains 3:1! Gates developed it for Harley-Davidson and is the world's first commercially successful carbon cord elastomeric composite belt. IMO pretty awesome technology just for the asking. No wonder that development team won the "2004 Charles C. Gates Award for Excellence".

johngdole

Thanks for the suggestions. I still haven't gotten it off, but I've got another question. I'm changing the water pump too. The coolant bypass hose is attached to back of the pump. How do you detach the pump from it? The book just says to remove it. I have removed to the

2 nuts for the other hose. Everything seems to be loose but the bypass hose. I don't want to force it until I know how it is attached. thanks again.
Reply to
moon11