crankshaft damper stuck with crankshaft sprocket

Hi, I got an issue: I got a stratus es 1996 2.5 V6 AC. I need to change the water pump. So I'm @ removing the crankshaft damper pulley but the freaking thing is stuck to the sprocket. ASA I pull the pulley, I can see from underneath the timing belt, the bearing and the sprocket being pulled off with the damper. Now I don't want to pull the whole thing @ one since I don't want to screw-up the timing between the two camshafts. So, should I give a big bang with a huge hammer on the darn thing loll? PLZ help

Thanks

Reply to
magickarle

Why not set the timing up at the proper marks (top dead center) even if you have to put a dab of paint on the sprockets in case they move. Then remove the pulley and separate the sprocket once it is off?

Reply to
maxpower

The problem is the timing belt is in the cover and I don't have full access to timing belt (So I can't mark it yet) The only cover I was able to remove it the top-right which shows only one of the camshaft sprockets

maxpower a =E9crit :

Reply to
magickarle

maxpower a écrit :

If the 2 cam shafts pulley's are lined up at TDC then the bottom will be lined up at TDC also. If it moves on you before you get it apart you can look at the arrow and set it back when you are getting ready to set the belt. I know what you are talking about I have seen this so many times and broke covers before because it would not separate

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Hi, what I had to do is remove the timing belt directly from the camshaft. Before doing it, I've marked the belt, camshaft n the motor so I'll be able to align all 3. Once the crankshaft damper was removed, I got access to the last couple of bolt to slack the upper right n left timing belt cover, removed the tensioner pulley and voila: got access to the water pump. MY GOAL YEAA!! Now I think the hardest part is to come: put everything back lolll!

Is the sprocket press inserted in the damper? The darn thing doesn't want to separate agrrr. I would like to separate them so it's easier to reinstall n align the timing belt. I was thinking of torching the crankshaft and cold freezing the sprocket with an air compressed can (upside down, it shoots pure liquid azotes hehe!) Any suggestion? I've purchased a 3 jaw puller and a harmonic balancer for nothing. I think I'll return them. Is crankshaft damper and harmonic balancer the same? Why the different terminology

Reply to
magickarle

The sprocket is not pressed on. it just slides on and off. A puller would probably get it off but will damage it.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Hum... then I'm wondering why it's so stuck. Might be rust. Then how should I allign the timing belt on the sprocket if the crankshaft damper is in the way? thanks a million for your help!

Reply to
magickarle

I have no idea what kind of tools you have access to, a bearing separator would work as I have used in the past. Im sure if you need to get it off you will find a way to do it. I would suggest soaking it really good with penetrating oil

Reply to
maxpower

I saw Kano Kroil is very good @ it. How a bearing separator could help me in pulling the sprocket from the damper? The only knotch I can see on the sprocket is the the one that keeps the timing belt in place on the sprocket

Reply to
magickarle

maxpower

I've seen it before but the sprocket "groove" is not thick enough to support the pull effect and I think it would break. Man it's sooo frustrating!! The water pump is installed but still the sprocket doesn't want to get out of the damper. I've tried with a 3 jaws puller and it broke part of the outer "grove" (because the groove is not thick enough for the pull pression) I've tried torching it but I think I need something more powerful than a propane torch Tried to hit it with a rubber hammer after soaking it in light oil, didn't move a bit. I think what I'll do is screw a thick O ring then use it with the 3 jaw puller. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Reply to
magickarle

Reply to
magickarle

Sorry...you left yourself wide open here. Sounds like a great idea to me.

magickarle wrote:

Reply to
Dipstick

Umm - yeah - if you're going to do that, use the right size o-ring and some K-Y. :)

Bill Putney

Funny guy loll. I guess it could have sound sexual. Bill Putney a =E9crit :

Reply to
magickarle

Reply to
magickarle

get a repair manual for the year and make vehicle you are working on, and follow the procedure- there will be a step by step method to do it- if you just jump in without reading the procedure first, you risk breaking something- or spending a lot of labor and aggravation trying to get something off, that needs a special tool or technique and comes off quite easily

Reply to
duty-honor-country

ohh I got the manual all right but you know how it goes:" remove bolt

1 2 3, and remove the cover. Wright!! Remove cover; how the hell can you remove a cover when it's stuck between an accessories pulley (that can't be removed since there are 2 bolts unreachable) and the camshaft (the right one) Well, I just toke a crow bar and crack the dam thing. I was able to set the cam n crank to TDC, reinstalled the timing belt, did 3-4 manual full crankshaft revolution, compared the marks to make sure I didn't take inconsideration the timing belt slack (and the marks were wright on the spot), put everything else in place (except the dam covers), put new oil (since it was needed) and new prestone And voila: cars turns on and no problem to start. Acceleration A1. Just some noise on the serpentine belt (was a bit slack n a small adjustment removed the noise)

Do I really need the covers? I know it's better so the timing belt is not subject to nature element. Do you think it would be enough is I install a full cover under the car so water, rocks etc couldn't get into the belts?

Cheers

duty-h> > Finely the procket gave-up after.

Reply to
magickarle

Charlie Nudo, aka snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com , should be put on your kill file list. He is a troll, and since you are in Europe, he wants to try to prove that Euros are stupid. In reality, he's the stupid one.

It would be nice to have the covers on just for the reason stated. But, as you found out, the cover is a problem for installation on these!

Reply to
DeserTBoB

hum.. i'm not in europe, I'm in montreal/quebec

DeserTBoB a =E9crit :

Reply to
magickarle