warning light is on and alternator is not charging the battery

i have toyota camry 95 234k v6 north american it looks like alternator is not charging the battery and car shaped warning light is always on what could be the reason

ravi

Reply to
ravindra

Make sure the alternator drive belt is tight.

Is the battery going flat? if so: Alternators dont last forever. It maybe a number of things with the most common at that mileage being brushes worn beyond useable length. This is replaced as an integral part of the regulator module which is the black plastic thing on the rear of the thing (about $20-30). Other causes maybe blown power-diodes, broken winding in the rotor or field.

If the battery is holding up:

If so, one or more of the output sensing diodes inside the alt maybe stuffed.

Heres a link for a more complete understanding:

Usually, these days, exchange alternators are reasonabley cheap (circa $100), but I would try the regulator module first, or get it quoted on by an auto-electrician,..one you trust.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

If you still have the original alternator then you got pretty good use out of it. And if you still have the original battery, likewise.

I personally change the battery every 5 years. No questions asked. $39.99 (now $45) for a Johnson Controls at Walmart is a very good deal. A weak battery strains the alternator and can cause it to fail.

I'd change out the alternator brush (the plastic assembly under the rear cap) every 100,000 miles. There will be about 20% left, but why chance it.

If the voltage regular goes out, then you should just replace it with a rebuilt. I get rebult alternators from my local NAPA parts store only. Dealer is overpriced and other major chains sometimes have cheap blue light specials that I don't want.

If you have time, check out the Bosch NEW alternators:

And check out
prices (plus shipping).

rav> i have toyota camry 95 234k v6 north american it looks like alternator is

Reply to
johngdole

alternators:

"I personally change the battery every 5 years. No questions asked. $39.99 (now $45) for a Johnson Controls at Walmart is a very good deal. A weak battery strains the alternator and can cause it to fail. "

"I'd change out the alternator ."

You are 100% correct on this.Had this happen to me twice.(Ya I know , slow learner LOL) but had never had this happen on a NA car only on my Jap. cars.

I dont know why the discrepancy?

If you replace the battery ? try and replace it with one of the new design maintenance free ones,.they are practically indestructible.

I have one in my `01 750 Shadow Ace (original) and I have one in my `02 Camry.

Neither one (so far ) show any signs of failure.

Of course I maintain them like everyone should

Disconnect them once a year and clean the connectors and terminals till they`re squeeky clean and then reconnect.(even if they LOOK good).

Pretty simple really , no liquid to check in maintenance free batteries.

Hope this helps ? mred

Reply to
mred

Yes, I'd absolutely go for the AC-Delco maintenance-free batteries. GMs and Hondas come with these. But not all Toyotas do. These have different plate metallurgy that cuts down on hydrogen out gassing. And they sure seem to last forever. These I'm comfortable to leave in for

7-8 years vs the 5 for standard batteries. That way only $20 brushes around 100,000 miles is needed until the alternator bearings dry up.

Why do I swap them out before batteries fail? Because a battery is relatively cheap compared to an alternator. A strained alternator charging a weak battery overheats it and shortens its life. And then people got into a cycle of replacing the battery, after the alternator, after another battery, etc.....

IMO, ~$80 AC-Delcos are the best-in-class maintenance free batteries, but the 24F is very hard to find. So I pick the next best - Johnson Controls, available under many brands such as Walmart, AutoZone, etc. Just don't get the blue light specials at any place because there are different grades for different shopping levels.

Reply to
johngdole