1997 Toyota Camry starts fine when cold but not at warm

I?ve got a problem with my 1997 Camry with a 4 cylinder engine with A/T. First thing in the morning or when it has set a while and is cold, it starts fine. But if it hasn?t set very long (such as 5-10 minutes) after turning the engine off, it will be difficult to start again. The engine will stall then. Then I need to wait for another few minutes, the car starts fine and run well.

Anybody have a solution or ideas on what the problem is?

Reply to
nicknick

Sounds like the imfamous idle air control valve (IAC) problem. You can clean it and then lube it with TriFlo. Do a search on this and you'll find tons of info.

nicknick wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

========== Lot of people have reported difficulties with the ignition coil under the distributor cap. Could be temperature sensitive. Try checking resistances as listed in the manual with the car hot and not starting versus engine cold. See:

Daniel

If yours has the coil under the distributor cap the coil is probably shorting from condensation till its dries after 30-60 minutes. Mine was a loose cap.

Reply to
m Ransley