1999 Camry, no compression in Cylinder 1?

Borrowed a compression tester from the auto parts store and installed it into Cylinder 1. With the timing belt off, I rotated the crankshaft, and got no change in pressure, no matter how many times I rotated the crankshaft.

Camshaft was set to the notch at the 11:30 position.

Wondering why I get no compression.

Tempted to just set the crankshaft to TDC by the marks and I have a 50-50 chance of getting the compression stroke...

Reply to
mrdarrett

Cylinder 1. With the timing belt off, I rotated the crankshaft, and got no change in pressure, no matter how many times I rotated the crankshaft.

chance of getting the compression stroke...

Oh I think I know why I have no compression. Gauge threads aren't for my Camry. Only 1/2 turn and the hose comes out. Taking the 50-50

Reply to
mrdarrett

Unless you think you have a blown head gasket, I wouldn't worry about compression. How many miles does this thing have on it?

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

133,000 or so.

I was hoping to use the compression tester to find TDC, as the Haynes manua l suggested.

I took the 50-50, figuring if worst comes to worst, it just won't start, bu t the car started right up! (I used the old timing belt for the test.)

If I'm off by one timing belt notch, will fuel economy suffer? I was going by the marks on the crankshaft gear, since I read somewhere that the notch on the crankshaft pulley can be off because the rubber on the pulley deter iorates... and I think that happened in my case.

Reply to
mrdarrett

you need to get it exactly right, something will suffer if you don't, drivability, idle, power, fuel mileage... probably all of them.

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

Yeah... I tried the engine again when it was 15 degrees *after* TDC, and to my astonishment it sounded just fine, like you'd never know it was off... I found that disturbing.

Then of course I set the timing belt to TDC.

Reply to
mrdarrett

astonishment it sounded just fine, like you'd never know it was off... I found that disturbing.

They will often sound fine off by that much at idle. You would surely notice less power driving though.

Jack

Reply to
Benjamin.Kubelsky