1999 Toyota Camry Longevity

Just hit 80,000 trouble free, knock on wood, miles on my '99 V6 Camry. Got my fingers crossed. What kind of mileage can I expect from this power train, or am I already running on borrowed time? What has been your experience with this type of vehicle?

Reply to
Mercury
140000, 200000 , well maintained driven easy on the highway with synthetic oil maybe 250000. Its all in how you care for it and preventative maintenance.
Reply to
mark Ransley

It all depends on maintenance. For the power train that would be engine oil changes and transmission fluid changes. Check the condition (color) of the transmission fluid. Should be light red color. Transmission is likely to go before your engine, but by changing the fluid more often to avoid ever running with "burned" or discolored, old, worn out fluid, you can dramatically prolong its life. There should be a drain plug for the transmssion, so it makes it fairly simple to change. Just make sure the trans. is fully at operating temperature (10 miles driving) before topping up the final level. Just draining the fluid will not get it al out - much is retained in the torque converter. So you need to change it several times. If fluid has been neglected clean the filter screen and inside of the pan also.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I'm interested in your information on the transmission. I bought a 97 Camry XLE 6cyl 1 year ago. I have a problem that feels like the transmission banging/clunking as you release the gas pedel. Sometimes its subtle others it more prononced. Dealer didnt detect it in his short testdrive. Took it to another toyota dealer who said it was fine, toyotas can last for 200,000 miles. But he changes the tranny fluid and that made a noticable differance. I thought the car was cured! Now 2 months later the tranny is acting the same way. Could I just cahnge the tranny fluid more often? Does this sound like a condition that preceeds transmission failure? thanks Steve

Reply to
steve

I would say 5000 more miles. (J)

Camry. Got

power train,

experience with

Reply to
Art Begun

A little over optimistic there I see.

No use here for an orgamimobile...

Reply to
Eastward Bound

My last V6 Camry went 140,000 great miles befor I sold it. My current 4 cylinder 1997 Camry is at 170,000 now with no major problems. Good oil, good oil filters changed regularly total flush of the transmission every 25,000 miles will get you a long way.

Reply to
ROBMURR