2000 Camry Brake Question

Could someone tell me how to pull the drums off the rear wheels. I tapped them with a hammer and pulled but that didn't work. Someone told me that there are two small set screws on the from the of drums that release the drums. I see the screws, but do I unscrew them to release the drum. or do I screw them further in to push the drum off the assembly? How does this work?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
George

unscrew the screws. You will need to take a big ball peen hammer which is heavier than a nail hammer. Hit the flat part of the drum near the studs but not the studs.do not hit the axle.It will take a few heavy hits. Use the flat end of the hammer. The hammer will need to weight about 5 or ten pounds. You may spray wd 40 on the drum around the studs.The drum should pop loose. do not hit pull or pry the outer edge of the drum. If the screws are stripped you may have to take a small chisel and hammer, put the chisel on the outer edge of the screw and hit until it loosens up.

Reply to
Thudd

unscrew the screws. You will need to take a big ball peen hammer which is heavier than a nail hammer. Hit the flat part of the drum near the studs but not the studs.do not hit the axle.It will take a few heavy hits. Use the flat end of the hammer. The hammer will need to weight about 5 or ten pounds. You may spray wd 40 on the drum around the studs.The drum should pop loose. do not hit pull or pry the outer edge of the drum. If the screws are stripped you may have to take a small chisel and hammer, put the chisel on the outer edge of the screw and hit until it loosens up.

Reply to
Thudd

I don't claim to be a brake expert. My rear drum brakes tend to last a long, long time, but you might want to get a Haynes repair manual. It is possible that, if the brake drums are worn, and the shoes are adjusted tight right up to them, you'll need to back off the adjustment to remove the drums. You use a screwdriver through an access hole on the star adjusting wheel.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

also make sure the hand brake is off. when you get the drums off you can wash the brake assy off with a water hose, will not hurt the brakes.

Reply to
Thudd