"Novel" idea for removing rear brake drum?

I have an 86 Sentra. I can't remove the rear drums. Apparently, Honda has a threaded hole in their drums into which one is supposed to screw a bolt which pushes against whatever holds the stub shaft which the bearings are mounted on which is then supposed to push off the drum/hub.

Would that work in the 86 Sentra?

Could I drill a couple of holes, thread them, and then screw in a bolt an push the drum off?

If so, where would the holes be drilled?

Reply to
Al Smith

Why can't you remove the rear drums? I'd wait for NissTech to reply. He's probably done many 86's. And it would take someone who has done at least one to afford you something other than an educated guess.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

It's a FWD car so why not just remove the wheel bearing if the drum is stuck to the hub? Unless you have the special bits and taps to deal with blind holes, this idea won't work. As I said it's much easier just to take off the wheel bearing nut!

Reply to
Steve T

It's real easy, but it still won't come off. I took of the nut and took out the bearings, but the shoes are still "welded" to the drum.

Reply to
Al Smith

Put the wheel on. If it runs drive it back and forth a bit to try to free it or just drive it where you want it, if it doesn't run tow the car. On hard stuff like tarmac or concrete you may wreck a tyre, it may free up. If it's on loose stuff like gravel or earth it will just skid. Either way to you get the car out of the way.

If you are keeping it. If it really is welded solid and won't rotate then you may have to sacrifice the drum. Chain drill a row of holes across it and join them up with an (air) chisel or beat the hell out it till it cracks. Get an angle grinder with a metal cutting disc and cut a groove across it, beat the hell out it again. Check availability and cost of new or secondhand drum before doing this.

Odd that are no screw holes, my '91 RS13 has them on it's rear disc/drums, I'm sure my 910 hardtop coupe and estate had them. My '84 Celica had them. Thought it was normal on all Jap cars. Maybe you have a cheap pattern drum?

Peter Hill

There is a problem with this, too. This car was a victim of the "Interference Engine Blues" back around 1990. I got it cheap. I toot out the engine and transmission and fashioned a power train out of two DC traction motors and sprockets and gearbelts. It worked, but I eventually got tired of it. Now, my dear, sweet 88-year-old mother, who prefers puttering around at 40 m/hr at least tolerated it when I drove her at 70 m/hr in it, is fond of it and doesn't want it disassembled. I could see hauling it of to the junk yard, but she won't have anything of it.

Solution No. 1 won't work.

What if you drilled and threaded a couple of holes and tightened up a couple of bolts and then whacked it?

I don't know, but they seem to be nearly sealed. It is amazing how firmly the hub is attached. One key may be that the building it is stored in has a concrete floor which seems to wick up water and the humidity seems to be a quite constant 90%. The 98 Honda Civic I have has the threaded holes in the hubs.

Reply to
Al Smith

to remove the rear drums form an 86 sentra .

remove the dust cap in the center of the drum

remove the cotter pin

remove/loosen the nut that holds the drum on and then pull off the drum

Reply to
NissTech

Then the threaded hole wouldn't work either. As you pull on the drum, the shoes will get pulled away from the backing plate making them "apply" even more! The only solution after reading your other post is to destroy the drum.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
john smith