power window motor

Hi all,
I own a 2001 Tundra and one of the power windows just died. It's the passenger side front door. The other window works fine so
it doesn't appear to be a fuse. I got quoted a price of 200.00 to replace the motor, that includes the motor and labor.
Toyota wants 330.00 for the part but I've seen aftermarket for about 70.00.
Is that a hard item to replace? It doesn't appear to be all that hard to remove the door panel but I can't be totally sure it's the motor either.
Any idea why the huge disparity in costs? Is it easy enough to do it myself?
Thanks for any feedback
You may want to check to see if there is power at the motor itself when you press the switch. I could be a bad switch. One other thing...I recently fixed one of the electric motors on the power seat of my 2000 Camry. I disassembled it and cleaned the black off of the armature with a pencil eraser. After reassembly it worked fine. I don't know if the power window motor is similar to the seat motor but it's worth a try fixing it if it doesn't work now. Larry D.
Go to your local Pep Boys and look up a Haynes repair manual.
An example on earlier Toyota trucks is in Autozones free guide: http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/16/28/59/0900823d80162859/repairInfoPages.htm
So you can see what you may be getting into. Check rockauto.com for prices. Some like Motormites have lifetime warranty.

Before tearing into the door to replace the motor, first check to make sure the window lockout hasn't been activated. It will be located on the drivers door and normally a small square button next to the door lock/unlock switch.
My mother accidentally depressed the button on her Camry and was about to take it to the local dealer when I asked her to check that first. After a few minutes, she came back on the phone with a sheepish voice saying that was it and she didn't know how she managed to depress the switch.
Larry

On Tue, 6 May 2008 16:25:30 -0400, "cheese"

Of the dozens of power window regulators that have failed in my lifetime, not one was as a result of the motor failing. Switches, cable guides, plastic gear racks, plastic slides, frayed or jammed cables all have been causes, but never had a motor fail.
Bad news is that over the years the auto makers have serviced fewer and fewer of those "sacrificial" parts and often you have to buy the whole assembly, including the motor.
Don't know about Toyota, haven't had a failure yet.
Frank