2000 Camry sticky accelerator

Sometimes my accelerator pedal binds. More pressure will cause it to 'unstick' and I lurch forward. This is a recent symptom.

I don't think this is your typical 'throttle body' issue. though.

If I place my foot parallel with the gas pedal, no sticking occurs. It's when my foot is off-axis (at some angle) to the accelerator, the binding is reproducible.

My current theory is that there is a worn bushing or bearing assembly at the top of that looooong pedal rod that is exhibiting excessive 'stiction' when operated off-axis.

I *would* just 'fix the nut behind the wheel' but that would require painful and expensive operations to cure my pronated feet.

I like the bushing option better.

Your thoughts please?

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

So, I disassembled the accelerator pedal pivot. There was no bushing. An axle welded normal to the accelerator pedal arm sticks through a hard plastic base, secured by a circlip. Plain journal bearing. I saw quite a bit of congealed grease and dirt in the bore.

After cleaning, lubrication and reassembly, everything is *much* smoother. I did have one small hangup during a drive that normally costs 10 or 15 hangups, so perhaps there is some cleanup to be done on the throttle body as well.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You know of course that the accelerator pedal assemblies were replaced under recall for many of these Toyota cars. The stickiness, IIRC, was due to the plastic used in the sleeve.

If yours has not been replaced, you might want to call the nearest Toyota dealership and see if your car is affected. If so, they will fix it properly for you.

Reply to
hls

one?

That's for V6 cars assembled in Tennessee. Mine's a four-banger assembled in Japan.

If you gave me a choice between scooping my left eyeball out with a rusty spoon or turning my car over to a dealer for service I'd say "just how rusty *is* that spoon"? :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I echo that remark.

IIRC, the Japanese built cars used a special elastomer which was much better than the one used in the USA.

Reply to
hls

Roger that.

--Winston