2001 4cyl camry smokes on startup

2001 camry 4cyl has 57000 miles. After being in the garage all night the car blows smoke after the first startup in the morning. This occurs about every third or forth start. At other times I don't see a thing. Oil consumption is about one qt every 5000 miles. Oil and filter are changed every 5000 miles. This started after 50000 miles. Anybody else have a problem like this?
Reply to
Robjos

YES, I Do. With a 93 camry with 57k on it, a 94 camry with 161k on it and a 99 camry with 65k on it. But (yes, the But) only if the car is parked facing a slight downhill tilt in my driveway. If I park the any of the cars facing uphill, no smoke. I'm at a loss for an explanation since all 3 pass Ma state emissions testing for inspection. Dan

Reply to
Dan

The most likely culprit for both of your problems is worn valve guide seals. This will result in a small puff of oil smoke when the car is started, and the longer the car sits, the larger the puff, to a point. Generally it goes by mileage, but age may be a factor too. Funny thing is, none of MY cars started doing this until they had over 225,000 miles and had been sitting parked for over a year! It will pass the MA emissions, because you have to drive the car there, and the oil at the seals dissipates. The small amount that collect from the time you park it until the tester takes it is not enough for oil to pool in the cylinders. As for uphil/downhill....??? I have been told this is fairly easy, but approx $4-600 by an independant repair shop. Luckily, the two guys I rely on the most have done them before, one of them having owned 5 Toyotas. BTW, he is in Mass, so if you want I can probably hook you up. W.Mass, that is...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Nothing to worry about, and it is actualy good for the motor as it lubes your cilinders free overnight and reduces Dry oil starting. Its Valve guides. And has not affected my oil consumption or polution tests. I burn 1/2 quart in 3000m So it is honestly good for your motor.

Reply to
m Ransley

I'm no car expert but that sounds silly to me. If it was good for your cylinders wouldn't it be designed into the system?

Reply to
badgolferman

Its really the valve guide seals, They are rubber. Try the high mileage type oils that swell the seals slightly. Worked for me at 60,000mi. No smoke now at 190,000 mi.

Reply to
ROBMURR

No it isnt silly, Oil starvation, and alot of wear occurs on startup befor the pump has circulated oil. Pre pressurising systems are avalaible for race motors. Think about it, 2 strokes lube through the gas immediatly, A minute drop of oil in cilinders vaporises and also lubes. My car uses 1/2 - 1 quart in 4-5000m. It smokes a bit on startup but has harmed nothing and probably helped the piston rings alot.

Reply to
m Ransley

Before Catylitic converters made this wrong I knew a mechanic whose commercial drivers would add a cup of oil to their gas. It was even sold as " top oil" . They stated longer ring life was guarnteed. I would not worry unless oil consumption goes up.

Reply to
m Ransley

Please pardon my dissension. I don't believe it's good for your cylinders. Typically a small residue is left when oil is burned by the pistons. Also, it interferes with the normal combustion and reduces power. I have an old car with 325,000 miles on its original engine. It hasn't had the "benefit" of having oil in it's cylinders and the engine runs fine.

Reply to
Viperkiller

I agree that the problem is more than likely the valve seals. Toyotas are known to have these problems. These jobs can run you up to $1000 sometimes. But be wary of unscrupulous mechanics. They'll try to convince you that you need an engine rebuild. Burning oil is mostly a sign of the piston rings wearing and hence needing a rebuild. This is not true of the start-up smoke. If it's bad enough it will even smoke constantly. A compression test normally proves that it's the valve seals. That's why I work on my own cars.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Agreed....our 88 Camry (sold to family) had the same problem.... Pennzoil high mileage oil seemed to clear it up......I have never had it fixed and the car now has over 306,000 miles.

Reply to
Curtis Newton