2001 Toyota Camry ignition problem

My 2001 Toyota Camry with 52,000 miles ignition will not start. I can open the doors and the head lights go on but I cannot turn the ignition key or open/close the electric windows. What could cause this, ignition cyclinder???? Does this seem unusual for a 2001? Any suggestions????

Reply to
Mac

Does the radio power on when you turn the key to ACC and to ON? Do instrument indicator lights come on when you turn the key to ON? Does the door chime sound when the key is in the cylinder and the door is open?

Before assuming it's the cylinder you can do a electrical continuity check. Haynes from your local Pep Boys outlines it in chapter 12. Follow SRS precautions working in the area.

It's kinda unusual for a 6 year old car with 52K miles.

If the lock cylinder checks out and you should also check the tranny's Neutral/Park safety switch. And after that if you have alarm, temporarily yank the ecu and see if the problem goes away (especially with the horn and dome light thingy).

There is a Fujitsu-Ten fax back number you can google if that's your alarm (OEM) to get a installation instruction for reference.

Reply to
johngdole