1991 Toyota Camry- intermittent ignition problem

I have a 1991 Toyota Camry that run great with approx. 160K miles. Within the last six months, I've experienced a severe intermitent ignition problem. I turn the key, and all the dash lights work, headlights work, horn blows, everything works, except there is dead silence as far as the ignition is concerned. No cranking, no ticking, no noise whatsoever. However, if I keep trying,it eventually will start. My mechanic suggested that it could be the starter, so we replaced that a month ago. The problem continues, however. Now he has suggested that it could be the 'neutral switch', and has suggested we replce that. I have noticed if I play with the shift lever a few times, it seems to start-up, however, I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. A further hint, my back-up (or reverse) lights don't work, however, my mechanic doesn't think it has anything to do with the problem. Any ideas or suggestions would be deeply appreciated. Thanks. Ronnie

Reply to
mezzi

Well, it looks like it probably wasn't the starter. Could be the neutral safety switch, but some of these cars were known for corroded battery cables, which will cause your exact problem. Suggest a voltage drop test to determine if the cables are bad.

Reply to
qslim

Before you replace the neutral safety switch, try opening it up and cleaning the contacts inside of it.

It bolts to the front of the transmission. The shifter cable bolts up to it.

Heres a picture of it:

webs.lanset.com/trbocam/neutral-safety-switch.jpg

--
88 LE
88 LE's Profile: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/member.php?userid=54

Try rattling your key in the ignition switch and see if that helps. Check your key for wear. If all the pins in the switch aren't in the proper position it can cause weird electrical problems.

Reply to
ketterj