2002 Camry steering too darn sensitive....

Well I went back to the dealer for the second time to complain about the wandering of vehicle. They did another wheel allignment ....and like the first time, they claim it is perfect and does not wander in their road test. I have an old Camry which does not wander in lane. I had them rotate tires in hope that the tires have something to do with the problem. However, I think Toyota has fiddled with the steering to improve the turn ratio....which is fantastic. So, I suppose I will have to live with constantly correcting as I drive....or sell the car with only 11,000 miles. Could other tires make a difference....It came with Bridgestones? Do others find the steering so sensitive that that road grade and wind move your Camry around in the lane? Still looking for a solution....or is this just the way it is.

Reply to
Marty009

Take the car in. Ask for the toe to be set ZERO on both front and rear. Ask for the paper print out which will show the before and after settings. Wandering and twitching on grooved pavement will be exacerbated on some cars and some tires when set either positive or negative toe (toe in, toe out respectively).

Reply to
Philip®

Marty,

My 2002 Camry came with Michelin Energy LX4 tires and there is NO wandering from day one. I have about 50,000 KM on the car now. I am now running Nokian Hakka 1 winter tires and there is no wandering. I performed my alignment at 40,000 km to ensure that I get the maximum life from my winters.

Marty009 wrote:

Reply to
Car Guy

Excuse me for mentioning this simplistic and overly obvious question, but where are you running the tire pressure? If it's up around 35, that could cause the sensitive steering.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Tire guy thank you for your response. Daniel, also thank you....tire pressure right on 29 lbs. Phillip, thanks also....I could,Nt get a printout as the machine was not able to print the day I was out....I was told I could come back for it on another day..I will return for it and check for zero toe.

Marty

Reply to
Marty009

difference....It

My 2001 Camry was the same way from day one brand new. It pulled to either one side or the other. After several alignments we reached the conclusion that it was the tires which were Bridgestones. At 35,000 I replaced them Dunlap. The problem was still there. However, it turns out that with the right placement of which tires, i.e. which goes on in what position, the problem diminishes. Still the car seems prone to drifting more than other cars I have had. I have been driving Toyotas for twenty years. Handling is not there strong point. Not one had a good on center feel to the steering. They do make tough, quiet, comfortable cars, and I need that because I put on more than a hundred miles in a day. I wish it was better handling. My 92 Camry handled better.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Roger, Thanx for reply. I have only driven about 25 miles since forcing the dealer to rotate the tires....and the car seems much better. I think I will have to keep better tires on this vehicle and switch them around as neccesary. As one fellow said to me...Instead of cursing the $20,000 Camry It's better to invest $400 in a good set of tires. Marty

Reply to
Marty009