2003 Camry - steering too light, any way to adjust?

One of the annoying traits of our 2003 Camry is a bit of wandering on the road. Changing tires and a couple of alignments still does not help. What it seems to be is the power steering assist is set too high. Makes steering much too light, therefore a minor road imperfection would kick the tracking out of line. This requires more correction on the driver's part to keep a straight line. Also the PS overassist makes turns a bit tricky, often causing a side to side swaying that mimics body lean, but is actually steering corrections during the turn. Making the Camry feel "floaty" like the old Buicks.

I recently drove a rental 2005 Subaru Outback and it has rock solid straightline tracking and tight turns. Loved the solid handling of this large car, though the Camry is better in other respects.

Is there any way to adjust the assist on the power steering?

Reply to
Ron

Bad, worn ,overinflated, or broken belts in tires will do that, I just replaced fronts with 30000m on them I broke the belts. What a difference it rides like new. I had thought I had major problems. Are tire original? Michelin Harmony are good.

Reply to
m Ransley

What

steering

tracking

I notice you have had the alignment checked and the tyres changed. Are the tyre pressures too high?

When I first drove my Camry I thought the steering was too direct, with the slightest movement of the steering causing a direction change, but prior, I was driving a 25 yo Ford V8 tank.

Tracking changes which demand constant corrections doesnt sound right though. All cars will to *some* extent change direction on undulations, but it shouldn't be so much that it catches your attention.

Castor which is a measure of the steering axis inclination (front wheels) makes for good tracking, but is not adjustable in modern macpherson-strut frontends.

Worn or out of adjustment rear suspennsion can make a car have tracking problems. Did they also do the rear wheel alignment?

The only advice I have is to drive another '03 Camry and see if it also is this way. There maybe something in the PS which is making it over-assist,..but I haven't come across this complaint which turned out to be a fault. Anyone else who has?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Tske the car back and request that the front toe be set to ZERO. This is not the OEM spec which is toe-in. Also, have the rear toe set to ZERO or no more that 1/16th" toe-in.

--

~Philip.

What it seems to be is the power steering assist is set too

Reply to
Philip

It is still under warranty , complain to Toyota and demand it be fixed. But honestly still look into tires such as good set of Michelin Harmonys or the equivilant you need. belts broke on my tires unnoticably from the inside ar 20000m Either, - demand a Toy Rep-. and repair.

Reply to
m Ransley

Problem is that the dealer insists that this is normal. I have replaced the tires with Michelin Hydroedge (great tires, btw). Alignment is on (independent alignment shop). Tire pressures on the money. Steering is just too light with no road feel.

Like I said, the Outback I drove was outstanding in this regard. If Toyota could design Subaru's excellent handling, quick steering and good road feel into the Camry, it would be a definite winner. The Camry wandering is a common problem with the 2002+ redesign.

Reply to
Ron

When it is shown that the alignment specs are by the book and that no defects in worksmanship exist in the rest of the chassis, Toyota (and all other brands) will not make a project out of making your happy without PAY.

--

   ~Philip.
Reply to

I"ve driven a 2003 Camry and a 2004. Neither car could I use my index finger in the steering wheel to make turns in a parking lot. Matter of fact, the effort required was about the same as my 2003 Corolla. Is your car similar? Now wandering within the lane at highway speeds is a different complaint. A solution to this kind of complaint I have aleady posted to this thread.

--

~Philip.

R> Problem is that the dealer insists that this is normal. I have

Reply to
Philip

Rent or get a loaner of same model year and compare. As I said even Toy was to dumb to figure tires were the real problem,my problem was 4 yr old Bridgstone that got hard and slippery, real slippery. Also broken belts often can not be seen, only felt in tires.

Reply to
m Ransley

I had a 95 Subaru legacy wagon. Fantastic handling and ride. Too bad the interior was junk. Also the ac was inadequate. But great body and suspension.

Reply to
Art

Alignment is covered only first year by warranty.

Besides Philip's points I wonder if one of the front shocks could be bad. While avoiding a pothole, I hit another one fast with my Chrysler 300M and destroyed one of the front shocks. Dealer was nice and handled it under my service agreement even though it really was a road hazard collision but had trouble getting a pair of shocks in and initially changed only the bad one. Seemed to ride ok even though one shock was brand new and the other had 45k miles on it but that was on a smooth road near the dealer. When we got on other roads with undulations we had the same kind of problems you were talking about. Dealer finally got the other shock in and problem was solved.

Reply to
Art