speed sensitive steering

'97 Sierra Z71 Is there anyway to disable 'speed sensitive steering', and leave just plain old power steering? Thanks.

Reply to
cew

Roller

I'd rather have low pressure all the time. As is, the steering is way too sensitive at low speed; light continuous steering pressure, as in a constant, low speed turn, produces sudden, unintended, slight oversteer. There is nothing wrong with the linkage, wheels, tires, etc.

Reply to
cew

I'd rather have low pressure all the time. As is, the steering is way too sensitive at low speed; light continuous steering pressure, as in a constant, low speed turn, produces sudden, unintended, slight oversteer. There is nothing wrong with the linkage, wheels, tires, etc.

Reply to
calhoun

Reply to
cew

I'd rather have low pressure all the time. As is, the steering is way too sensitive at low speed; light continuous steering pressure, as in a constant, low speed turn, produces sudden, unintended, slight oversteer. There is nothing wrong with the linkage, wheels, tires, etc.

Reply to
calhoun

How does speed sensitive steering work? Just curious. Thanks.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

I'd rather have low pressure all the time. As is, the steering is way too sensitive at low speed; light continuous steering pressure, as in a constant, low speed turn, produces sudden, unintended, slight oversteer. There is nothing wrong with the linkage, wheels, tires, etc.

Reply to
calhoun

It is relatively simple. There is a electrically controlled pressure regulator that controls the hydraulic pressure at coming out of the power steering pump. As the vehicle speed is increased, the pressure drops. In addition, there is a sensor on the steering shaft that increases pump pressure if the steering sensor indicates rapid steering input (like during emergency maneuvering). This is the sensor that often fails and causes erratic behavior of the pressure regulator. It is simple to replace and is located just inside the cab next to the fire wall on the steering shaft.

Reply to
Roller

I'm sure there are other varieties out there, so this may not be the only description. Typical hydraulic power steering is a constantly flowing system (the pump is always turning and moving fluid), therefore when the steering is not requiring power the fluid has to have a way back to the pump. You could call it a by-pass or return line. The more fluid permitted to bypass the power steering and go back to the pump the harder the steering is to turn. The type of speed sensitive steering I've seen simply involves a valve on the bypass line that opens and closes with the speed of the vehicle - the slower the vehicle the more closed the valve on the bypass line (sending more fluid to the steering box), and vice versa. This gives the feel of easier steering at slower speeds (like parking lot maneuvers), and stiffer steering at higher speeds. Add in a sensor at the base of the steering shaft to detect panic steering movements (which will close down the valve making it easier to steer) and that's about the whole package.

The original version of this was simply added-on, but now is more integrated into the steering gear and components.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Thanks for the input. Was curious...