2002 rear bearing assembly question

Hi, My 2002 Camry was in for service this week and I found out I need new wheel bearings on both sides on the rear. As some of you would know the wheel bearing comes with the complete hub assembly and it isn't cheap. So I have been checking the aftermarket products and I have 2 problems.

The first is my car was made in Japan and all the aftermarket products seem to be for Camrys made in the US. My local dealer doesn't "think" there is any difference, He says the part numbers are different only because they come from different suppliers. Does this make sense?

The second issue is some places want to sell me the hub assembly for a

6 cylinder Camry vs mine being a 4 cylinder. Is this the same hub assembly? It would seem likely that it could be. The local dealership here simply says many 6 cylinder Camrys have ABS and mine doesn't so that doesn't really help me much.

I called customer service at Toyota USA and they were no help at all. They don't provide "technical" answers. They advised me to call a dealership and I told them I had. They suggested calling another. They also said dealerships have access to a technical phone line so that might be worth a try.

I'd appreciate some advice if someone knows this information or can make a suggestion as to where I could find some answers. Many thanks Greg

Reply to
gmcbean

How are you sure you need bearings.

Reply to
ransley

You need bearings on a 2002? ransley is right -- how do you really know. Some of these dealer techs really don't know anything. There is one posting in these groups telling people to use wheel bearing grease on brake systems!!

rockauto.com's listing on BCA/NATIONAL Part # 512208, for example, says that particular part is excluding ABS, excluding Japan production.

Give BCA/National or Beck Arnley an email or a call:

Arnley: 1(888)-GO4BECK

Reply to
johngdole