2002 SE Suspension Problem?

I recently bought a 2002 Camry SE V6. The car test drove beautifully and is Toyota Certified. The dealer put 4 new Sumitomo HTR 4T tires on it. They are T rated but ride smoothly and quietly. The car's suspension was very nice, with some road feel but no harshness and very quiet at freeway speeds. That changed two weeks ago. I had a blowout in my left rear tire. I was on a freeway exit ramp doing around 40. The car fishtailed briefly and then straightened out. I was able to fill the tire and have it hold until I could get it patched a few hours later. The following day I noticed a significant change in the ride of the car. The front end seemed to be almost mildly bouncing on even relatively smooth street or freeway roads at any speed. Bumps were much more pronounced than they had been the day before. I have been feeling like I'm on a kiddies roller coaster when I drive. The bouncing sensation can be felt up through the driver's seat and on the steering wheel somewhat.

I brought the car into Toyota at 30,100 miles for service the week after the blowout. We agreed to do a 15000 mile service to cover anything which Toyota Certification didn't. I had mentioned the suspension issue and the shop foreman, himself a Camry SE owner, took the car out for a test drive. He did notice a bouncing sensation coming form the rear left side. The suspension was "checked" and deemed normal and the tires were rotated and balanced. The repaired tire was now on the front left. When I picked up the car, I was told that, with the rotation, there was now a mild bounce in the front, possibly caused by a minor structural problem with the patched tire. I was told to drive it for a few days and advise them of any problems. I took the car into the best tire dealer in town and they checked the patched tire on their GPS-9700 unit. The tire was structurally perfect but was 2oz out of balance. They then checked the other 3 tries and found them to be 1.5oz, 1oz and .25oz out of balance. Using the 9700, all tires were brought into perfect balance. I was not happy with my Toyota dealer since balancing was part of the service just done. The ride of the car is better but still seems overly active. There is still a mild bouncing on even relatively smooth roads and a lengthy ride can be very fatiguing. I'm not sure what the best approach to this problem should be, hammer the dealer vs. having the suspension checked by a professional shop. I really do not want to spend out of pocket and know that the SE's suspension is a bit harder but the car's current ride is not acceptable and I'm beginning to wonder if I got stuck. I had an 2000 Altima SE with a "sport" suspension prior to the Camry and it felt nothing like this.

Reply to
Lewie

Your car came with more costly H (130 mph) rated tires from the factory. The T rated touring tire (118 mph) is reason it probably blew in the first place - side walls not strong/stiff enough . You didn't say how it was patched. You know you should not patch the side walls of any radial tires. I wouldn't want a patched tire on the steering front. Bouncing indicates internal tread separation or an internal bubble if it isn't just balancing. Go to

and you'll see they don't recommend fitting below an H rated tire.

is

are T

with

changed

exit

out. I

few

of

relatively

pronounced

kiddies

the

the

Toyota

did

was

told

possibly

into

balance.

.25oz

balance. I

service

There

ride

that

Altima SE

this.

Reply to
Wolfgang

The original Toyos were V rated and I suppose, ideally, that replacement tires should be the same. Would a drop from V to H be much less significant than a drop from H to T? The patched tire was fully evaluated on a state of the art

9700 unit by a shop that has an outstanding reputation. The results showed no problems. The original puncture appeared to be in the tread not the sidewall. That having being said, would the drop in speed rating affect the overall ride of the car that badly. The Sumitomos are supposed to be very good "perfromance" touring tires and since the dealer put them at at no charge when I bought the car, I couldn't object. What is puzzling is that the ride had been OK for the first four weeks that I had the car. Now it's baby trampoline time everytime I drive it.
Reply to
Lewie

tires

than a

art

showed no

sidewall.

ride

when

trampoline

The repaired tyre maybe in balance now, but it, and/or the rim is NOT round. This is a common mistake wheel balancers make: they think just because they can dynamically balance a wheel, that it will then drive properly,...not so if the wheel and or the tyre is no longer perfectly round. It will put a low-freq vibration of ''walking'' sensation thru the car. Some OOR is tolerable, but not much more than 1/10 in, imho.

Try askng them to spin the repaired tyre-wheel and check for 'runout' (a measure of out-of-round).

Jason

Reply to
Jason James