2002 struts

I have a 2002 Camry with 117K trouble free miles. According to my dealer I should have replaced my struts 60K miles ago. I have done all my own maintence for years, brakes, trans service, filters, tuneups, etc. Is this a job for professionals or something I can do as a resonable & capable car guy. Also any good recomendations on parts sources and especially step by step instructions?

Thanks

Reply to
dje2518

Check on Toyota Nation web site. The forums there are a wealth of info. I have seen step by step photos of strut replacement. Here is the url.

Ron

Reply to
Ronnie Lee

I worked at a dealer for quite a while and never thought of recommending strut replacement on a time or mileage basis. Unless you have one or more that is leaking, I wouldn't think of having it done. That said, it's not a particularly hard job, though you do have to take care when using a spring compressor, which is a required tool. The amount of energy stored in a car spring when compressed to remove the strut is enough to take a hand off, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you are familiar with using tools and doing your own work.

Reply to
qslim

Thanks, I'll check out the link

Reply to
Planeman

I know the dealer and most tire shops are in the business of selling parts and service and so far everyone I have checked recommends replacement at 50K. I have no leakage or other signs of wear. What is interesting is that Munroe, the strut manufacturer recommends 50K replacement, but their replacement struts come with a lifetime warranty, go figure. Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
Planeman

I agree that most struts loose a good amount of damping ability by 50K miles just like belts do. The seals may leak, the fluid oxidizes and thicken, the rubber hardens from heat, etc. People can driver longer with them, but often would not realize the amount degradation until new parts are installed. It's also a matter of economics for some owners. So your mileage (literally) may vary.

Just about every company's struts have "lifetime warranty". According to Monroe they'll replace "worn-out" struts. So maybe 50K miles means a sturt is worn out? And I wonder what it takes to get lifetime replacements from Toyota - must be like pulling teeth since they're paying for labor too. Actually at $250+ per strut you already paid labor many times over. Personally I just don't have high regards for Toyota struts.

I personally prefer the Gabriel Ultra for typical driving because they offer better comfort at low speeds and do not give out during tight highway clover ramp turn like the Toyota struts. The Ultra's multi- stage inertia sensitive valving is the direction of modern passenger strut design, and it's the winner of the 2003 Popular Mechanics Editor's Choice Award.

AutoZone offers lifetime warranty (excluding labor) on the struts and frequently has coupon specials. I use new Monroe mounts with the Ultras. Also order all new rubber boots (I re-used mine but should have ordered them), rubber spring seats. You may be able to re-use the strut bumper.

That said, Monroe's QuickStrut is an assembly that contains all new components. It's economically attractive, except I personally don't care for the SensaTrac they used in that assembly. The new Reflex would be better.

You can borrow the tools from Autozone with deposit (compressor, 250lb/ ft torque wrench). The compressed spring clearly needs caution and but IMO the work is not difficult if you are mechanically inclined.

Check out the Gabriel G-Force video:

johngdole