2004 Camry Dashboard Rattling Noise

I bought a new Camry a month ago, everything runs fine and all, but sometimes when I drive, there is a noise coming from the dashboard region. Pretty soon I discovered it's the piece of plastic that's right ablove the steering wheel (below the clear plastic that covers the meters) that's lose. Does anybody know how to eliminate that rattling noise? It's driving me crazy.

Reply to
Joe

Back to the dealeship for warranty work you go. Why do it yourself its a no charge fix.

Mike

Reply to
Artfulcodger

covers

its a no

Is this a common problem among Camrys? Is that why the dealership will fix it for free?

Reply to
Joe

All dealerships will de rattle a car thats a month old under warranty--they get paid by the manuracturer not the customer and I really don't know if its a common sypton or not.

Reply to
Artfulcodger

Is that what that noise is. I was wondering. I will listen more closely to my "noise" now. :|

Cheers,

Rich

Reply to
RTL

closely to

covers

Reply to
Joe

I would try to tighten it myself. Dealers usually screw that kind of thing up. At best they will install some felt pads that probably won't help..... based on my Avalon experience.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Philip®

thing

help.....

as i

but

dashboard

that's

that

Reply to
Joe

What you must do is locate exactly where the two pieces of plastic are chaffing against each other. When you have truly located that (those) point(s), separate the surfaces sufficiently to insert a strip or pad of adhesive backed felt. I had a bunch (10 or 11) of these rattle/squeak points in the dash and roof pillar covers of my '03 Corolla (three in the radio alone) that I fixed this way. That was about 25k miles ago. Car has 40k on it now.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

you

kind of

plastic

soon

more

all,

that

eliminate

Reply to
Philip®

Philip gave you good advice. Hardware stores sell adhesive felt and rubber. Also might want to check for a screw head by looking at wierd angles..... sometimes put in wierd angles so they are not obvious when you are driver or passenger in car. Don't overtighten and crack the plastic and use the right type of screwdriver.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Butherus

And if he buys an extended warranty he will probably be money ahead longterm even if Toyota is (was) more reliable historically.

Art

My

months

Toyota.

closely to

but

dashboard

that's

covers

Reply to
Joe

Now this is funny, the dashboard rattling noise is gone, and thanks for Phillip, the felt worked perfectly. However, now my driver seat squeaks like crazy when I accellerate and decellerate. the car is back to the shop now, i don't think i want to take the chair apart myself.

Reply to
Joe

You're welcome. Seat retractor springs can squeak at the holes where the spring hooks thru. Lubricant. Retractor springs can also "squeak" when the coils vibrate against each other. One common solution is to surround most of the coils with rubber tubing of similar diameter.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

The dealer said that they have to replace the rail for the seat, and apparently it's back ordered for 52 units in the entire US. perhaps a common problem for the new Camry's? And, there is another rattling noise coming from the dash kits (the plastic part that goes around the central A/C vent, CD player, AC controls), does anybody know how to take the kit off and fix it?

Reply to
Joe

Usually ..... you pull off the air control knobs, you will find a couple of Phillip screws to remove. The rest involves a thin knife (or butter knife) prying / popping the control consol cover off.

Reply to
Philip

Believe me the rattles are a lost cause. Had a new one in my 2001 Avalon with 20k miles on it. It was there for a half hour ride to the store. But none on the way back. Go figure.

Reply to
Art