TOYOTA CD/RADIO.

I have a 1995 CAMRY 4 cyl Auto...65K Miles. Had from new. Its fitted Radio/Tape.

I want to update to CD/RADIO. I have a nice Panasonic but it wont fit the opening left by the OE unit. Its to high in front panel. Is there only TOYOTA units that fit. Meaning expensive. Or is there an after market supplier that does one for this situation.

Tks Johnny UK.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

Johnny, Does your CD player radio have several mounting holes in odd positions on the sides????

If it does, there's a set that matches the Toyota side mount brackets. The face trim is left off or a custom made trim panel will be made to fit the radio and sit behind the trim usually. That way the actual radio usable face will protrude through from behind when mounted.

It's marginal but do-able. I never did like the way they looked but they do allow you to install without cutting up your car usually.

You won't need that little slide-in "can" thing if you moun it to the brackets.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Hi There. I kind of know what you mean. But the Panasonic I have has a removable front panel. The opening on my CAMRY has as it was room for 2 units. But the bottom space below the original unit is fitted with a Ham Radio VHF/UHF Transceiver. I looked a trimming the front panel of the Panasonic down some. But I think it would just look so ugly that I would keep looking at it and thinking what a bodge job. The bodies of both the Toyota unit and the Panasonic are the same dimensions. But the Front of the Toyota is same height as body. While the Panasonic is a lot higher if you understand what I mean. Don't think there is any chance of picking a second hand unit from scrap yard here in UK. Think in 9 years I have had my CAMRY I have only seen maybe less than 10 other Camry's on the road. Its a shame they do things like this. The Panasonic is a nice unit to and I have the remote changer. AH well back to the drawing board.

tks Johnny UK.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

Wow, An unusual thing for us "merkins"...........Ham indash.....hmmmmmmmmmm

Well, I have some more possible help here. If the HAM is of no use, then you can order up a toyota "pocket piece" to install using the side mounting holes and the original bracket work too. The Pockets were of two varieties when I was installing aftermarket. One was for one year model or somehting odd, and the other fit almost all other toyotas in general.

Have a look around the net and see if you can find a toyoa parts place that has an appropriate model "pocket to fill that hole.

( now, if you still wnat to keep the HAM tranmsceiver, then just leave it in place)

I don't think you have to use the "trim collar on the new radio if you don't wish to. That should make it easy to fit through the dash panel, maybe a small gap around it, but it should work. I'd try anything I could to use the factory mounts because of strength and vibration reduction on the radio chassis.