5SFE engine question

I was reading a website that was quoted in this group the other day and they said the 5SFE engine was worse than normal but didn't elaborate. It rated the rest of the car as outstanding in performance and maintenance. My question is, what is so horrible about the 4 cylinder engine? I've got

135,000 miles on it and it runs fairly well. Is there something I'm missing?
Reply to
Greg B

Show us this website. There are a few trolls here that probably work for ford that bash Toyota on this newsgroup. The 4 cylinder is even better than the 6 cylinder is as far as longevity. Many have gone 250,000 to 300,000 miles with no problems. Me I only have 180,000 miles on mine.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Took me a few minutes to find it again but here it is. Let me know what you think.

they

rated

Reply to
Greg B

Gelling is if you dont maintian clean oil.

Reply to
m Ransley

For what it is worth, Consumer Reports rates the Camry's 4 cylinder engine as "Average" for '96 and '97; "Very Good for '98 and '99; and "Excellent" for any year after '99. Not sure of the difference, except maybe the number of problem reports creeps up with age. They last tested a 4 cylinder Camry in 2002, and it was a slug as far as acceleration goes (at least compared to a 4 cylinder Accord), but in the review they specifically mentioned the engine as "outstanding." In general, compared to the Accord, the Camry comes off as second best in the Comsumer Reports reliability ratings.

Regards,

Ed White

ROBMURR wrote:

Reply to