87 Camry - Auto Transmission fuid change

1987 Camry - 200K miles - automatic - 4 cylinder

Hey Friends:

My mechanic changed the

- automatic transmission fluid

- differential oil

- engine oil + filter

On automatic transmission fluid, he had run out of filters, so he did not change it. I had previously changed both about 2 years (30K miles back). The old fluid was fine .. and the transmission does shift properly. My mechanic told me not to worry about it .. and get it changed the next time i.e. 30K miles later.

Should I worry about it ? Should I take it back and have him change the filter too ? Of course, he did not charge me for it .. but that is not what I am concerned about.

Thanks for your assistance

Reply to
techtrainer61

What did he charge you, the trans has a drain plug its a 2 minute job to drain and fill, to drop the pan is a 30 minute job. I drain from my plug every 10-15, and drop the pan at 30-?. If he charged trans fluid cost that is fair. but he did an incomplete job. The only way to know if a filter needed changing is cut it open. If color was good before you changed it and it shifts ok I would wait.

Reply to
m Ransley

Hi ..

he charged me $50 for the transmission fluid change + differential oil change. he said if he had to change the filter it would have taken him (1-2 hrs) and would have charged me $60 more.

Is this a reasonable charge ?

(Engine oil change + filter was $20 .. but that is separate)

Reply to
techtrainer61

The 88-91 take trans fuid in the differential, check what he used and what yours requires. A full trans service is maybe 60+ in itself so I guess you are ok. I believe your Power Steering takes Trans fluid also, I just use a turkey baister to remove the old.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thank you, Sir.

I will follow up with my mechanic.

Reply to
techtrainer61

Is using a turkey baster the recommended way to change the power steering fluid?

How about brakes? Just use a turkey baster (sounds easy), or is it better to drain the master cylinder and purge the air out (more work)?

Reply to
onehappymadman

A turkey baister is a quick way for power steering, and really not the best way. Brakes should be flushed with new fluid as water is absorbed by the brake fluid and corrodes brakes parts from the inside.

Reply to
m Ransley

Was this transmission fluid change a drain-and-fill or a complete flush?

Reply to
Hopkins

I just did the turkey-baster method with the power steering. I don't think it's ever been changed in 10 years, but my dad might have done so before he gave me the vehicle. I was able to get maybe 1/2 of the liquid out of the reservoir with the baster - the baster was really wide.

Is the fluid from the reservoir mixed thoroughly with fluid throughout the power steering system, like the fluid from the transmission would be thoroughly mixed? Or is the liquid just sedentary, resting with no mixing?

Reply to
mrdarrett

It mixes, in 6 months it wil be dirty again, change a few times and it will be clean, but most camrys use ATF in the power steering, the cap should state what to use.

Reply to
m Ransley

Oh good. Yeah, my manual said Dexron II, but of course I put Dexron III in there. No incompatibility I hope.

I guess I'll just do it along with the regular oil change (and tranny oil change). Sure seems easier than disconnecting the hose and pumping it out.

Now about that brake fluid... :)

Reply to
onehappymadman

the Dexrons are compatible, and the same. They have just come up with newer improved versions hence the I,II, and III

Reply to
Bartramo25