88 Camry startup question

As my mechanic of 20 years retired, I need to be steered in the proper direction.. My 1988 camry with 40k (thats right 40k) mileage has all of a sudden devoloped a starting problem. When parked over night and go to start in AM it always used to start on the first turn of the key. Now it takes 3 times. Once run it is good for the rest of the day. Any ideas, not a mechanic but I am thinking perhaps fuel pump ??

Thanks to whoever is smarter and replies.

Reply to
WD

I have an 88 Camry also. A pro mechanic told me that the sensor that is vertically mounted on the coolant manifold mounted to the left side of engine can cause hard starting like that if it goes bad. It is a sensor with two flat-blade contacts. Or it might be a switch , but he called it a sensor. Am trying to find out exactly what it is called, because mine has a broken connector, but is still working for now.

Try reading the diagnostic codes. GO get the Haynes manual and it will give you all this info.

Reply to
geronimo