'89 Auto Transmission question

Has anyone replaced a automatic transmission in an '87-'91 4 cylinder camry? I'm interested in whether you put in a rebuilt transmission or a junk yard replacement. What are the cost estimates?

All advice appreciated!

John snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Reply to
jc_raleigh

camry?

Junk-yard parts are always a gamble unless you can judge their condition easily before buying. With this in mind, and the fact that they wont remove the trans if found to be faulty,...means one or both of two things : pick a transmission which is still in a car which runs (my favourite), so you can test it, or failing that, be prepared to pay very little for it.

Sometimes the trans dipstick will tell you a lot about its condition (assuming it still has oil in it)...the cleaner the oil, the better. If the oil is grey or black,. avoid like the plague!

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

the trans dipstick will tell you a lot about its condition

Have seen too many compalints about rebuilt transmsissions, and have my own complaint story as well. My vote would be for the original unopenend transmission from a wrecking yard, but only with clean transmission fluid. Darkened, neglected, "burned" overheated transmission fluid, and neglected or extended drain intervals are the main reasons they fail.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

The problem with having the transmission rebuilt is that finding someone who does it properly, which is very rare. I would rather chance one from the junk yard. Most of them warranty them for at least 90 days. I would suggest to change all the fluid before installing it.

Cost? Well, that varies. My brother bought one from a junk yard for $100 for his 91 Cressida. Since Camry's are more prevalent, it shouldn't cost anymore than that.

Reply to
Viperkiller